Existing Member?

Jason and Shannon's Magical Adventure

Honomalino Grey Sand Beach

USA | Sunday, 12 September 2010 | Views [894]

The bay in Mioli'i

The bay in Mioli'i

Where we're staying is about 1 mile down Mioli'i Road right off the highway. If you keep going another 4 miles down the windy, sloping mountain it will bring you to the town of Mioli'i. It is one of the only remaining traditional Hawaiian fishing villages using the same techniques they've been using for years. The state decided to declare the bay at the bottom of the hill a state park, which is kind of a kick in the face to the natives. They don't really like it when white people go down there that much (i wonder why...) so we had to go during the day. When we got down there you could see the women gathered shucking clams and the men out in their boats. I wanted to take a picture but felt rude so I refrained myself. Once you get down to the bay there is the state park area then you can walk onto this privately owned beach, where tourists aren't supposed to be, and it will take you to this path leading into the forest. We hiked about a mile and got to the Honomalino grey sand beach. It was pretty nice, lined with palm trees, very secluded, wild goats, all that jazz. The sand was blazing hot because it was so dark so you have to bolt to the water to avoid burning your feet.

Tags: beaches

About shannon-and-jason

South Point

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.