Existing Member?

Living the South American Dream

Santiago

CHILE | Friday, 26 March 2010 | Views [349]

Not sure where I left off and am writing this two weeks late lol but will back track and write about each of our stays in order. Finally got to Santoago after three days in Buenos Aires. Aeroliñeas Argentinas put us up in The Savoy which was lovely. Aeroliñeas finally agreed to fly the stranded travellers to Mendoza and bus us to santiago. 12 hours on that bus 12!! at least it was the first class part though ;)

Finally met up with Andres at 7 in the morning, quite cool and pleasant but straight back to a beautiful little self contained apartment. 

Andres was in the earthquake that killed over 1000 people. He was om our 14th floor apartment when it hit. Thankfully my flight had been delayed by 12 hours so I touched down 12 hours after the quake instead of 12 hours before. Incidentally the aftershocks took a little while to get used to, the first one set my heart beating and the second sent me running for the door and the emergency exit lol. They became less of a novelty and more of a daily occurence. As usual the news greatly over exagerrated the effects on santiago and the city was functioning perfectly. Very efficient and clean.

We found our favourite place to eat was a brilliant place called La Hacienda which did the best cooked meats I have ever had. Lots of lovely little cafes and the pastries were great but really a hit and miss as far as coffee was concerned.

We have friends in Santiago informing our decision to stay there. Unfortunately Chile is quite developed and commands first world prices for about everything. City is lovely but the earthquakes have destroyed a lot of the old architecture making it a little boring. Food was expensive and attractions few and far between. 

Had a lovely time with friends though. You know you have been invited to a great party when the woman sitting accross from you is Chile´s Judge Judy and two of the guests are absent because they are presenting on the nationally televised earthqauke fundraiser ´Chile Ayuda Chile.

Santiago was a lovely and despite the lack of stand out features will definetly go back to spend more time with our dear friends.

Next stop os Viña del Mar and Valparaiso. The holiday spots for Chile on the coast ;)

 

Tags: city and urban life

 

About shanewl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.