Existing Member?

Shane's Trip Journal

March 28

THAILAND | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [494] | Comments [6]

I spent the last couple of days on Ko Lanta Island and am now on Ko Phi Phi. Ko Lanta is big, giving the feel that you are on the mainland as opposed to an island. It took a bus and two ferries that carried our bus to get to Lanta. Lanta, along with most of the south is 70-80% Muslim. I could hear the Muslim prayers over a loud speaker at least once a day. Some of the people in Lanta were dressed in traditional Muslim clothing. The people were very nice and helpful. Lanta is more of a quiet, less commercialized area with long stretches of beach. The area of the beach where I stayed was "OK" but a bit of garbage and although the beach was long it was not very deep. My bungalow was very quiet during the day but at night there was a bar with live music next to my bungalow. My bungalow had views to the ocean, a pool, and restaurant. I took a boat (1 hour) from Lanta to Phi Phi. I sat on the top deck and it was the first time the sun had been out for a couple of days. In that one hour I got a pretty good burn, especially on my bald head. I was surprised at how intense the sun is for such short periods of time. Ko Phi Phi is where the movie the "Beach" was filmed. It has been raining quite a bit so I am not sure how much exploring I will be able to do before I move on. Phi Phi is very touristy and commercial. I am staying in a guesthouse and as far as I can tell there are no cars on the island. The streets are narrow stone with mostly people walking but also a few bicycles and hand pushed carts carrying cargo or supplies to the interior stores. The water looks clear compared to the other beaches I have been on and there are many commercial dive operations. Sorry for the randomness of the pics, they get rearranged during my upload and sometimes the computer that I am using does not allow me to upload pics at all.

Comments

1

Good to hear from you. I was wondering what you had been up
to. The Beach had gorgeous scenery in it. I can't wait to see those pics! Love ya!

  tish Mar 28, 2011 1:49 PM

2

My wife said "I sure hope Shane is ok" when we went all weekend without seeing a post from you. I'm not sure if that means we are old and boring or if we just enjoy the pics and are living vicariously through you! Hope all is well!

  Terry Mar 29, 2011 12:34 AM

3

Shane,
What fun following along. This trip journal is great!
I love the explanations with each picture. It keeps us on track as to exactly what the buildings are and which body of water it is. You even have a roommate!
I was concerned about the earthquake until Bob showed me where it was on the map. You may see some of the damage when you travel north. ??? I'm glad you went south first.
Luv ya! Mom

  mimi Mar 29, 2011 3:25 AM

4

Hey buddy really enjoying all the pictures.......I hope you are having a good time. I check your journal log daily......

John Paul

  John Paul Mar 29, 2011 12:40 PM

5

Awesome photos and commentary Shane. Glad you're doing well! Keep us posted.

  Armando Mar 30, 2011 3:26 PM

6

Thanks for all the comments everyone.
Tish: You would love the islands, if the rain would stop that is.
Terry: Thanks for the concern buddy, I seem to be dodging the worst of it for now. I hope that continues to be the case.
Mom: I am learning how to use this journal as I go and hopefully will get better with it as time goes on.
JP: Thanks buddy, I will keep the updates coming as I can.
Mondo: Thanks to you as well buddy, I will have more pictures as the rain decides to let up.

  shane Mar 30, 2011 9:50 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.