Existing Member?

The Birth of a Phoenix "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you." Marianne Williamson

Day Trip to Piazza San Marco

ITALY | Monday, 23 April 2007 | Views [795]

"The Drawing Room of Europe" - Napoleon

I have never been anywhere where the sound of the people talking, people laughing, street music and the pigeons have completely drowned out any sounds of motor traffic. That might be due in part to the fact that all non foot traffic is on the waterways only.

I got to see the infamous Ponte de Sospiri (Bridge of Sighs) which connects the ducal palace and the overflow prison built just across the Rio di Palazzo, the bridge of sighs connects the two buildings. When a prisoner was sentenced to death in the ducal palace they took their final walk across the Ponte de Sospiri to the executioner. This was the last time they got a chance to see the water and the sunlight before death. Awful pretty bridge for such a gory use. And even more weird is that there is a superstition that is you take a gondola ride underneath the bridge of sighs at sunset and kiss as you are directly underneath your love will be eternal.

The pigeons are amazing, you can buy a package of corn kernels for about 1€ and walk into the center of the square and feed the millions of pigeons waiting for you. They will even fly up and land on your arms to eat right out of your hands... I even had 4 and 5 pigeons landing on top of one another in order to get some food. Being a bird lover myself I had a great time doing this, check out the video (assuming it is up and running on youtube -- they take FOREVER to upload videos).

This is a very pretty place to see and quite a bit of shops to wander around, don’t forget to stop and get yourself some Gelato and don’t miss out on the local street performers. The gondola ride are pretty expensive so i didn’t partake in that, but I'm sure it is one of those things you just HAVE to try while you are in Venice, and since I'm not leaving Italy anytime soon I think I will end up taking a ride on one before I go.

Tags: Sightseeing

About shanamave


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.