Existing Member?

A-"Frican" Adventure

Ways my life is different

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 18 June 2008 | Views [245] | Comments [2]

1. I eat a LOT of food everyday and yet still constantly feel hungry. (Most foods eaten are white, i.e. white rice, white bread, white ugali. Yep, that about covers it). And I am grateful every day that I do not eat meat - there is nothing visually appealing about it.

2. I use an outdoor bathroom and shower.

3. I no longer have any privacy, and my possessions are communal.

4. I was so excited to have a lizard inhabitting my bedroom. They eat bugs!

5. Concerns of sanitation have nearly vanished. Sinks just don't exist for washing hands. I shower with half a bucket of water, so I have to carefully consider just how much soap or shampoo I will use because if I go overboard, I will wear it for the remainder of the day. On a good day, before dinner a pitcher with water and a bowl will be brought to me so that I can rub the dirt around on my hands. THEN, I eat with my hands!

6. I now wait in eager anticipation to see just how many people can fit on a daladala (the buses here). The actual seats accomodate 14 people tops. My record so far is 24 people, 3 chickens and a sack of potatoes! There were actually 4 people sitting on top of the lap of one poor girl.

7. My new motto is "Hamna shida" also known as "Hakuna matata" or no worries. I eventually learned that if you can't beat them, you must join them. Everything is on Africa time now (i.e. everything is always late, and you just don't let it get to you when things don't go as planned)

8. I no longer talk to people on the street. At first I felt very rude. Now, that concern has dissipated entirely! I know feel that if I don't know them, they are a stranger, and I will not talk to strangers.

9. Everything I own is dirty, and I don't think it will be possible for me to feel clean or fresh until my return to America.

More to come ;)

Comments

1

Hey Shannon-I am glad to see that you have adapted to Hakuna Matata. I want to be there with you... Africa time, dirt everywhere, being careful who you talk to, daladalas (i had a goat on my feet on one!). through all of this you will be amazed at your changes that you will make. my first two weeks were the hardest, by my last two weeks i did not wanna leave. the country grows on you. the people grow on you. even the dirt grows on you ;).
well glad you are alive and well. take care! stay vegetarian, i did, especially after i watched a chicken be butchered!
-kanani :)

  Kanani Jun 23, 2008 1:49 PM

2

mambo vipi shanny?
I see that you're quickly settling down in Tz. Can't wait to read more of your interesting posts.
Take care and enjoy yourself.
Cheers!

PS: There is always room for one more in a daladala :-)

  eric Jun 25, 2008 3:26 AM

About shan-na-na-na


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.