Existing Member?

Sometimes I even know where I'm going.....but not often Cycling down the Pacific Hwy in the USA

California the art of never knowing where I am

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Wednesday, 8 June 2011 | Views [602] | Comments [1]

The statue that spoke

The statue that spoke

California. Well it certainly isn't all sunshine and attractive girls.

I mean, obviously there's me, so the attractive girl part is taken care of. But the sunshine thing? And the beautiful beaches?

If I was at school I would be writing lines on the chalk board: 'I must lower my expectations. I must lower my expectations, I must lower my expectations'. After all how can any inferior American State compare to home? It can't. So I will solider on.

Screw you California! You and your false promises of warmer weather. The type of weather that normal people [not just Canadians] can go swimming in.

And a beach that actually looked....I don't know, less like a big ugly black sand pit......

It's all lies! Lies and false promises and and and and....I don't even like your tractors!


So far I've seen a fair number of cows. Which depending on your species or/and sexual preference could be classified as attractive girls.

And gee whiz, since I left Oregon I've only ever had a vague idea of where I am.

I crossed the boarder and true to form the landscape changed pretty much on the dotted State line. Rolling hills turned into flat farm land. There was a sign with a bicycle pointing down a side road. Dubiously I followed the sign. Two hours of apparent aimless meandering along dairy farming back roads, bouncing along pitted, manured coated single lane alleys behind tractors and beside giant red barns [any one of which Clark Kent could have been raised in] and I was getting afraid that the California bicycle route people had only had enough money to put up one sign. The State is stone broke after all.

Then I saw a second sign. More bouncing ensued. The road was probably made back in the 1800's by an Amish man on a donkey. Then I was back on the....Freeway? Since when was the 101 Pacific Coast Highway, a Freeway?! While I'd been dodging cows and inhaling more manure flavoured air than I'd ever wanted to, my sweet little two lane highway, so tranquil and calm, had grown into a big angry dual carriage way.

Traffic roared North!

Traffic zoomed South.

Cars, trucks, buses, rv's, humves, SUV's, something that looked like it wanted to be a tank when it grew up....they were all there on My Road! It was too noisy. When a bicycle sign popped up pointed away I followed it eagerly. Wondered where I'd end up this time.

I was sort of aiming for Crescent city. Though I wasn't aiming too hard. Motivation was lacking that day and I just wanted to pitch my tent and read my book. To hell with the rest of the world.

But I didn't have a map. So I didn't know where I was. And even less idea where I could pitch my tent. From several conversations I'd had, I knew that south of Crescent City was A Hill. Which is a cyclist speak for an incline of demoralising proportions. I also knew that the camp site I had in mind was also south of Crescent city. Probably on the other side of this Hill.

You can see my dilemma. Climbing a Hill at the end of a long day, when I really just wanted to read my book simply wasn't going to happen.

Book defeats Hill!

But I didn't want to spend lots of money on a camp site either.

Yes I know, cheap And unmotivated, can I get any more difficult.

The answer to my prayers was Dawn. Dawn was sailing past me on her way home when I yelled at her and waved my arms like a distressed swimmer.

Dawn, instead of cycling faster to get away from me, did a u-turn and came back.

Turns out she worked at the prison, and far from offering me a cell for the night she pointed me in the direction of a county park.

I have no idea what it was called or even how to get back there.

Think, Pirates of the Caribbean. This park can only be found by those who already know where it is. It was off the side, of side road, hidden amongst towering red woods, in the middle of a rural suburb without any sign posts at all. This camp ground did not want to be found.

Even with Dawn's precise instructions I rode past it twice before I notice a small gap in the trees leading into the heart of the park.

It was dark amidst the trees. Nervously I pitched my tent and was later discovered by the camp host. I knew he was the camp host because it said so on his t-shirt. 'CAMP HOST' it declared across his bulging camo patterned chest. He was a big fat, scary looking dude living alone in a forest and obviously deterring anyone from actually camping. I gave him money and mentioned briefly that I was a martial arts expert with several tours of....New Guinea with the SAS.

Had bear mace.

And an emergency beacon.

A big brother called JAKE who 'worked for the government'.

Satisfied that I 'camphost' would leave me the hell alone I went off and read my book. It was a very good book.

Somehow despite being impossible to find, other campers turned up to stay the night. Much to my relief.


The next day I went to Crescent city and met a guy called Tom who was a bike mechanic. He told me that this Hill had an exaggerated reputation and it was infact merely a hill.

I left Crescent city and tackled this hill. Fourteen hundred feet. Two miles. Yes it was a bit of a hill. But it certainly wasn't A HILL.

Plus I stopped to chat two times on the way up. Firstly I met an Aussie couple from New South Wales in a pull out. They offered to give me a lift up the Hill. But everyone had made such a big deal out of it that I had to make it to the top under my own steam. Further up I met more French Canadians, cyclists. Two guys who'd come up from San Deiago. Eventually I reached the top. Found the turn off to my camp site.


WARNING!

If you are currently cycling the Pacific Coast. Do NOT, stay at Mill's Creek Camp ground.

It's a lovely campground.

It has nice showers, a great biker hiker area. Cheap rates.

And it's at the bottom of the darn hill. On a one way access road. That means that you go down...forever.

Then in the morning....you cycle up.....for eternity!

So in effect you cycle up that 'HILL' that everyone freaks out about....Twice.

It took me an hour to get up that darn hill in the morning.

The view was pretty awesome from the top. Pacific ocean slate flat and grey blue merging perfectly with the sky. So similar in colour and texture that it was difficult to tell where one left off and the other began.


Then I started through Red Wood Country.


Holy Tree what a big Crap!

Ahem.

I mean to say; Holy crap what a big tree!


Northern California's Red Wood Forests....they are so big there's is no room in my head to put the words together!


Big Trees! Old Big Trees! I saw one today that was 1500 years old and holds the somewhat dubious title of being the '14th biggest tree in the State'. Considering that there is only 5% of old growth Coastal Red Wood forest left, that isn't exactly the biggest boast it could have. Still I'm impressed it was 'a very big tree'.


The more I 'grow up' the more I do wonder about humanities claim to being the most intelligent species on the planet.

The ranger said that people didn't realise that if they logged all the Red Woods that the Red woods would..like....disappear.....

I mean common' people! Are we really that dumb?


I guess we are, because we've done the exact same thing back home. Wandering around amongst these enormous trees I had some Tasmania flashbacks. These trees are a little larger than the ones back home, but not by much. And just like these folk, it took lots of effort to stop logging companies from taking all the forests down and turning it into toilet paper.


Does anyone remember those advertisements from a few years ago. The ones that tried to tell us that you could log an old growth forest and replant it and it would grow back in exactly the same?


Humanity! If we aren't all dead by the end of the century it will not be from lack of trying.


Did you know that there is a bug in Canada? [There is probably a few more than that, but I'm talking about a species I've forgotten the name of]. A red beetle that lays lava in the trees. Historically most of the lava freezes over winter. But the winters haven't been cold enough in recent years. Global warming maybe? So the all lava is surviving. And it is eating the root system of the trees. The trees are dying in their hundreds. Leaving large tracks of dead dried out wood that fuel huge forest fires. When I was travelling around Canada last year there was at least seven large forest fires raging out of control in British Columbia.


Fishing villages I have cycled through are mere remnants of their former selves because people thought that if they fished all the fish that there were to be fished, then more fish would simply arrive from the depths of the sea for all eternity.....


The dolphin's of West Australia's Monkey Mia, were overfed by tourists. As a result the dolphins hung out in the bay and never taught their babies to hunt...and thus several generations of dolphins were lost until people figured out not to feed the dolphins.


A park ranger told me a story of a woman who smeared honey on her child so she could get a photograph of a Grizzly bear licking their face.


Ladies and gentlemen I present you with the evolutionary abnormality that is Humanity!

[The child was killed, encase you wondered...though I'm sure the photograph was.....deplorable].


Ah but I'm being depressing again...sorry for that.

It is just I meet people. So many Many People. From the world over. For little neighbourhoods. From cities. From universities, from underneath tractors and up trees. Just people. And again and again I hear them telling me, 'there isn't enough water,' it isn't as cold as it should be, the plants are dying, the animals are dead, the river is polluted. The ocean is empty. There is too much rubbish!

Everyone is whispering it: 'Our planet is dying.'

This 'green movement' is merely an easing of our guilty conscious. The world is not going to be saved if you don't use plastic bags. It isn't going to be ok if you buy 'less packaging'. It isn't helping if we take to the hills and hope that urbanisation will not catch up with us.


…...I was talking about something happier before I got sidetracked by morbidity.


Trees! Have been looking forward to this part of the world for some time. Cycled down through them all afternoon. It was very pretty but I was doing that annoying thing that I do by accident.

I was thinking: 'Valley of the giants....this is lots like Tasmania. Or Pemberton.....on steroids....' Why is it that the more I see, the more it takes to impress me? I'm getting immune to marvels. It sucks.

The tree trunks were all getting up to several meters in circumference. And really tall. 300 feet some of them.

All mossy and immense.


Then I met a statue that was having a conversation with a man who had a parrot on his shoulder.


I don't know what was odder. The man travelling around with a parrot sitting on his head. Or the fact that the statue was talking to it?

The statue was of a large happy looking lumberjack....and his cow.....or rather his Bull, the artist hadn't left out any details.

Anyway the lumberjack was about six, seven, eight meters tall. And he wanted to know if the parrot was friendly. The man said that the parrot didn't really like his girlfriend.

This made the lumberjack laugh. His voice booming out over the car park.

It was at Klamath Trees of Mystery. A tourist trap of sorts, that has a gondola up into the canopy of the Red Woods. I've been in enough gondolas this year so didn't feel like going up in another. But the talking statue intrigued me.

When I cycled away the giant man was talking to some little girls who's names I believe were Sarah and Courtney and he was admiring their dog that was sitting on his foot.

If I take the magic out of the thing I'd say there was a guy sitting in a booth somewhere with cameras, microphone and speakers rigged up. That would be a fun job....for the first two hours...


Onwards. And down for a change. I must have spent the morning climbing and afternoon coasting. On the whole not a bad way to travel. It is preferable to coasting in the morning and then climbing in the afternoon. Or simply going up and down and up and down and up and down all freaking day!

I do that a lot.


Parie Creek Campground. To be honest I should have spent a day or two there. Wandered around the Red Woods, played with some Elk. There are sooooo many elk!

But I couldn't. Because I'd finished my book.


Not having something to read drove me nuts! I cycled. I grumbled. I scowled. I used up all the power on my laptop reading downloaded novels. Then was annoyed because there was no power point to recharge my electronic book.

'There's nothing for it.' I told myself. 'I have to cycle until I find a book store!'


It took me two days.

The last night outside Mckinleyville was the worst. I was camped in a sandpit. Or so it seemed. By a muddy, black sandy beach. Nothing to read. Nothing to do. I wandered along the beach in a vain attempt to distract myself form the reading withdrawals. The beach was....well I'm sure it's mother loves it.

And the other California's appeared to find it nice. But they haven't seen Australian beaches so I guess all I can do is pity them.


In frustration I went to bed. At eight. And stared at the ceiling.

Then a convoy of hippies turned up. And had a party. Of course if I'd been feeling sociable I would have climbed out of my tent and joined them.

I wasn't. Instead I eavesdropped on them for hours.

They were all about my age, doing similar stuff to what I'm doing. I couldn't help but think that people my own age, doing stuff that I'm doing, all sound like idiots.

…..this concerned me somewhat.

Then they started playing the Pirate game.

[sung to the tune of the 'ants go marching'.]


“I put me hand upon her toe

yo ho, yo ho

I put me hand upon her toe

Yo Ho yo ho

I put me hand upon her toe

She said 'now pirate you're way too low.

Get it in, get it out, quick muckin' about

yo ho, yo ho, yo ho

DRINK!”


It was a drinking game that I found fairly amusing. The verses got steadily more seedy as the game progressed. I'd recite them for you but my Mum reads this....


Of course they all got to talking about music festivals and concerts and bands I'd never heard of. I lay in my tent and listened, but felt no real desire to join in. Eventually I fell asleep to Pink Floyd informing me that he didn't need an education.


Everyone was hung over the next day.


I set off to find a book.

Three towns, thirty miles, four book shops and lost glove later, I finally exited Borders with two novels.

For those that care: Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. And Karen Miller's Riven Kingdom.


Happy Kym.


Then I high tailed it down the freeway to Ferndale. Spent the night in the show grounds there. That camphost was far better than the one at the unnamed County park of Fort Dick.

He opened the door of his caravan and I engulfed by the smell of weed. I probably could have camped there for free if I told him I wasn't actually real. But I paid my dues and drifted off to my site feeling very chilled out indeed.


There I met another Tom. This Tom was interesting. Ex army boy. Had been blown up in Iraq and retired because bascialy he didn't have a spine any more. I mean that literally. His humvee had driven over a land mine. Luckily it had been buried too deep so the explosion didn't really do as much damage as it could have. It did hurl the humvee straight up into the air....again not the problem. The problem was the landing. Tom's spin compressed on impact.

So now he has a steel rode where half his vertebrae used to be.

He also has shrapnel from a mortar..mine/bomb/grenade? Blew up a container next to him. He was getting his lunch at the time.


All in all I don't think being a solider looks like fun. That said he is the most travelled American I know. Europe, Australia, South America, cycled across America twice. Now he is building a new touring bike so he can ride the southern tier. It has a lot of head stem because he can no longer bend.

I asked him if he thought they'd achieved anything over there.


“We did, I think. People living in the town that we were near were scared to go out. Do their groceries. The area was called 'the Triangle of Death'.”

“So not melodramatic at all?” I said.

“Al Qaeda was there all the time. But then part of my unit got ambushed and killed and they never found their bodies. Well the local people. They grew some balls because I guess, they didn't want us to leave. So we drove into the town one day and there was bodies laid out everywhere. Kids, women, men, old people, young people. The people in the town had gone out, found the people guys who'd killed our soldiers and killed them. And not just them, but their entire families as well.”

He grinned, half laughing.

“And that was a good thing?” I asked feeling slightly......something.

“Well it isn't called the Triangle of Death any more. Al Qaeda doesn't want anything more to do with that town.”

War eh.


I have no idea what to think of any of that.


His bicycle looks pretty.


Today I rode on.

Kept cycling through more farms and trees and hills.


Not entirely sure where I am right now. But that's fairly normal.


Tomorrow is looking like a good day to do nothing.









 

Comments

1

It's the big organisations, Kym. It's about money... Do you think they care they are destroying Earth? Personally I don't think so. It's for their own gain. Everyone is aware that humanity is holding on to a dying Earth and it's slowly slipping through our hands. Sad, but true.

How do we fix it? I know! By chopping down more trees! Hurp durp.

We should all be really concerned. But you know it's just easier to ignore the signs and sit back and watch. >:(

<3 you and your posts!

  Bek Jun 10, 2011 1:46 PM

About shalaith

Me looking stunning in orange and yellow!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.