Existing Member?

Joe and Sarah's Adventures

We Made It!

VIETNAM | Monday, 4 June 2012 | Views [1047] | Comments [8]

Well, it took from 6:30pm EST on Tuesday until 12:30am (Vietnam time- which is 11 hours later than EST) on Friday, and included a uncomfortable few hours spent "sleeping" on the floor of the Logan Airport instead of a full night's rest at our friend's apartment in Boston,

Our 'beds' at Logan

but we finally made it to Ho Chi Minh City! We were dirty, exhausted, confused, and due to some technical difficulties, still did not have a hotel booked or any idea where we were supposed to go. Hooray for not planning! We got our bags (which aside from being a little wet were none the worse for wear from the trip), got through customs, got in a cab, and had the driver race us through the streets to the central district of HCMC (still called "old Saigon"). After a tense moment where the driver tried to make us pay 4x what we had agreed on (he said it was his 'late night' fee since it was 2am by this point- we said Bull#$&%), we walked into a hotel and managed to talk the concierge into giving us a discount since all that was left for the night were the nicest rooms.

Our first hotl room in HCMC- very nice!

It still cost $50, but neither of us cared by this point since it was air-conditioned and had a bed. We'd been debating whether or not we'd rather clean up or go to sleep first-- but since Sarah hadn't showered since Monday (don't judge folks), this time cleanliness won out. We slept through breakfast and barely made it out by noon checkout. Now our first plan was to find and book another cheaper hotel for a few nights so we could drop off our bags and explore the city! More to come on that soon!

Tags: flight, ho chi minh city, plane, taxi, trip

Comments

1

That last picture looks a whole lot like O'Hare, Sarah...Are you sure you're in Vietnam? Travel safely and have fun!

  Susan Jun 5, 2012 8:58 PM

2

Have a great trip! It will be fun to follow you through your blog.

  Marianne Jun 5, 2012 9:29 PM

3

Haha you're right Susan-- I was playing around with my camera during our layover in Chicago-- the HCMC airport sadly was not as cool.

  Sarah Jun 5, 2012 9:56 PM

4

So glad you have this up and running, and can't wait to hear about your adventures! xox

  Annika Jun 5, 2012 11:18 PM

5

I luv u....congrats....sooooooo proud of u sweetie...u b careful and luvin to hear all about the new adventure and sarah the boyfriend is cute......xo mrs. V.

  Mrs.v. Jun 5, 2012 11:41 PM

6

woot! have so much fun!

  Elisabeth Jun 9, 2012 4:31 AM

7

We are really enjoying your adventures! What fun!

  Aunt Carol Jun 19, 2012 12:52 AM

8

Hey Guys!! Hope you enjoyed the 4th even if you weren't in the great US of A. I have yet to read through all your adventures, but I just wanted to drop a note and say HI! Hope you are enjoying your trip! Can't wait to see you when you get back!
Kel

  Kelly Jul 6, 2012 10:46 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.