Existing Member?

From my backyard to world and back

My Scholarship entry - Through Local Eyes

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 9 October 2012 | Views [316] | Scholarship Entry

I was selected to represent AustraLearn study abroad programs as their flip cam video blogger while studying abroad at the University of Otago in NZ. I was inspired to make this film because I am an ardent supporter of learning by doing, and leaving large lecture halls and getting your hands dirty in the field. I recently graduated from American University with a BS in biology. I found I learned the most in the time I spent outside the classroom, and filmmaking has been a very useful tool for me in this learning process. I traveled to the Galapagos to study environmental education on the islands, as well as filming several webisodes on the schools there. I also took a backpack documentary course in which I followed a homeless man as he made his way through a DC health and rehabilitation clinic. I am currently at a crossroads though. I am working at the National Institutes of Health and applying to medical school, but I still feel a strong tug towards pursuing a career in filmmaking and travel. I envision myself one day combining my passions of medicine and filmmaking, and I feel that the World Nomads scholarship can help me achieve this goal.

Tags: travel film scholarship 2012

About sflynn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.