Existing Member?

Fear and Loathing in Europa

London

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 26 September 2012 | Views [363]

I'm learning that experience supersedes all. I've studied London specifically through literature and have dedicated countless hours of research compiled into coherent MLA essays and that gave me only a sliver of understanding what this city is like. I'll be honest though, I have a love-hate relationship with this town so far, and since I'm on vacation, we'll start with the dessert. London is without a doubt a very vibrant city. You can't help but get caught up in the energy of it. The slow, laid back pace that I noted in Ireland is nonexistent here. Like most metropolitan cities I'm familiar with the people here are constantly in a rush. No more was this evident than when I was in Waterloo station at 6pm. It looked like a track meet; a track meet of remarkably fashionable sprinters. That's another thing about London, the people here dress immaculately. They can be impersonal at times but that's not to say that they're unfriendly. I could definitely stay here for two weeks without getting bored. The food and nightlife are amazing, couple that with the fact that its also a historical and cultural mecca and its tough to find any faults. Doug generously took me to the National gallery where we saw originals from Renoir, Rembrandt, Van Gough and Monet. I'm not an art buff by any means but I still felt honoured to see the authentic brush strokes first hand. After that we went to St. Paul's Cathedral where I was floored by the architectural expertise of Wren. Apparently the Catholic church has some money, who knew. We ambitiously decided to head to the top of the cathedral which was approximately 400 steps. The lactic acid burn was worth it though as it gave us an unparalleled 360 degree view of London from the top. But now getting back to the bitter entre. As hard as I try, I can't seem to escape the catered tourist experience that pervades every major landmark. For instance, I visited the Tower of London but wasn't able to appreciate the history of the building at all. I had to move with the hordes, gluttonously devouring the moment with pictures. It turned the whole experience into a monotonous routine of shuffle snap shuffle. Just cattle entering the abattoir. There's nothing like eating ice cream on the grounds where martyrs and political activists were tortured. It felt manufactured. At certain points along the tour speakers gave off ambient noises of sword fighting and battle cries. It made it seem too close to a universal studios ride for me. I felt so ripped off that it actually motivated me to head as far east as I could on foot. Free from the tour buses and key chain kiosks I could breathe easier. The stench of sewage and diesel were floral to me. Here the artificial smiles were swapped for grimaces. That sinking feeling in your gut when you see five hard looking strangers heading your way. All they need is a second glance, an excuse. Give me truth or nothing at all. I kept walking towards the docks until my knees throbbed. After wandering for a few hours I found myself in the Whitechapel area. After all of the literature that I read surrounding Jack the Ripper it was surreal to trace his steps. There was a definite uneasy feeling that followed for those blocks. Eventually I headed back towards St. Paul to wait for my friend Denise to arrive from Scotland. As I sit here writing this in a swanky cafe I can only feel gratitude. Regardless of the faults I've found with this city I am still amazed by it and thoroughly happy to be here. I realize that my sober musings don't have that alluring humour punch that my drunken stories have. In Berlin I will rectify this.


About serious


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.