Existing Member?

Fear and Loathing in Europa

Galway

IRELAND | Wednesday, 19 September 2012 | Views [406]

Alright so I've avoided writing partly due to a combination of sleepiness laziness and drunkenness but what I lack in effort over the past few days I will try to make up for in this entry. I did end up making it out to temple bar which turned out to be a fun time, as expected. Mikael and I approached two girls who turned out to be from Philly. They were very sociable young women. They were waiting on an 18 hour layover in Dublin at the tail end of a 3 month backpacking tour. One of the girls actually received a job offer over the phone during a train ride to Venice. They actually turned out to be good contacts if I ever need advice on how to break into the advertising industry. They were also quite attractive, which for nothing else was aesthetically pleasing. The night went well in summation. The next day I made a split second decision to take a bus to Galway. For my Canadian friends and family Galway would be considered a mixture of Guelph Kitchener and London. Huge party/school vibe there. This was the hidden authentic Irish experience that was hiding beneath the surface in Dublin. I decided to do a pub crawl (this is becoming a theme already during my trip, I know). I met some great people there but if I can impart any wisdom from my experience it is this: it is dangerous to try to keep drinking pace with an Aussie. I'm fairly certain that they're nursed on Foster's. As you can probably tell my entries have become less verbose and grammatically polished. This is because I want to actually document the loss of my brain cells. However, before this gets off the rails with digressions I'll return to my prior story. I met an amazing fellow Canuck from Montreal named Marie, an American, a Brazilian and as mentioned, several rowdy Aussies. The weather was torrential rain that seemed to come at us horizontally with the wind. This proved to be testing when switching bars but also unbelievably fun. The night ended at a nightclub where I met a local that just came back from Canada and was enthralled with me simply due to my nationality. And pecs. She was a toucher. Heading back to the hostel I ran into a huge congregation of drunks that moved the party to the front of a convenience store. There guys would periodically take turns trying to climb the light pole while the crowd heckled and often threw things at them. Basically an exercise in drunken futility, though entertaining. So maybe this entry wasn't that great but I'm under some time constraints. I'm currently in Cork about to go get food with my roommate Jordan. He's here from Chicago for culinary school. Seems like a solid guy thus far. Anyway that will probably do it for now. I'll try to make it up to you guys on the next entry.

About serious


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.