Existing Member?

Audaces fortuna iuvat (Fortune Favors the Bold)

4 countries in 1 week......

NICARAGUA | Saturday, 18 April 2009 | Views [620]

watchin the sunset on lake ometepe...with the volcano in the background

watchin the sunset on lake ometepe...with the volcano in the background

Ok so i told everyone that i would b flying thru central america...and unfortunately i can´t go to all the places that i wanted to but nevertheless i am still seeing amazing landscapes and have been to some amazing places along this wild, fast, and crazy ride thru central america.

So after i left panama city i went to san jose, costa rica where i stayed one night there and left early that morning, 4am for nicaragua. Me and another girl from ireland, ciara, were going together to lake ometepe in nicaragua (the 2nd largest lake in latin america, the 1st being titikaka in bolivia). anyways it was hard traveling after we got to nicaragua. a 2 hour ferry to the island. there we stopped for a quick bite to eat and a few beers. then jumped onto this school bus that was absolutely PACKED, had to stand with my packs for an hour until there was space to sit. It was sooooo busy because of semana santa, or easter weekend. The bus didnt go direct to the place we were going on the island. So we had to get off and try to thumb it, unfortunately there was no one going to our side of the island, so we eventually had to pay 10 dollars each for an hour taxi ride, which is atrocious but when u need to get somewhere u need to get somewhere...

once we got to our destination i was immedietly glad i came here with ciara. The hacienda (farm) we stayed was amazing. They grew all the food that they cooked with, at it was amazing to say the least. I stayed on the island for 3 days. The sunsets were some of the best i had ever seen. The island is made up of 2 volcanos and the sunsets over the large was fantastic.

After 3 days of soaking up son, walking around the island, swimming under volcanos, we went granada, nicaragua. About 4 hours from the lake. Granada is an old colonial town. Very pretty, very colonial and has a warm feeling to it. I stayed 2 nights there and did a jungle canopy tour, which was a blast. Flying thru on the ziplines was incredible...

After granada the next place i was headed was Honduras, Copan runas, on the border of guatemala. It would b a full days bus ride but this is the route i would be taking. So again i left very early from managua, nicaragua and transferred buses in teguicagalpa, honduras onto a different city called san pedro and got on another bus to copan runas. I did the ruins in the morning  before all the tourists come out. It was my first time visiting mayan ruins and they are impressive. They got a very different feel to many other ruins i have seen but very very impressive. Then in the afternoon i would take another 6 hour bus ride to Antigua, Guatemala. The queen of colonial cities in central america. Next blog i´ll write about amazing antigua, climbing live volcanos, a wild night in which i ended up in guatemela city after an intense night of partying, and my trip into mexico...until then...

About senor-lance


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.