Existing Member?

perennialsteps

Alas Purwo National Park - East Java: Feb'10

INDONESIA | Thursday, 4 March 2010 | Views [2290]

Alas Purwo National Park

Alas Purwo National Park

After spending the night at Meru Betiri National Park, we went to Alas Purwo National Park: Sadengan (pic. 3), the forest itself (pic. 2 & 4), Parang Ireng beach (pic. 5), 'waiting for the car' beach (pic.6) and Plengkung beach or G-land (pic. 7-10).

We're off from Rajegwesi beach in Meru Betiri National Park at 10 am heading to Alas Purwo National Park. We arrived there around 3 pm and went to Sadengan, a place where you can see some wild animals on the savanna. It's too bad that at that time not many animals around us. They're too far out of our sight. However, seeing the green savannah itself is amazing. They have different kind of green combined with the blue and white color from the sky and the bright cloud. We didn't spend a lot of time here.

After short visit to Sadengan, we continued to Plengkung beach or G-land for sunset. It's still 4 pm and we thought we'll be too early for sunset. Unfortunately as we arrived at Pancur (the starting point to go to Plengkung beach), we found that some high rank police officers from the city are also on the site with their families. So, they didn't allow any cars to go inside. Only their cars. The distance from Pancur to Plengkung beach is around 10 km. We took a walk for about 4 km (1,5 hours). The good side of having no vehicles to go inside, we were able to see and hear the black forest monkeys screaming, hanging and jumping above us on the trees; the birds having orchestrated singing and a little snake crossing the road. But it's going dark soon and the road to Plengkung beach is still far away. Luckily, a car operated by the national park management picked us up at 6 pm after we saw the sunset on the beach. At 5.30 pm, we're out from the track in the forest to the beach on its right side. We still can't go to Plengkung beach because the police and their families are still there. The driver took us to a beach near a helipad. There we just sat on a platform and had a chat with the driver. The beach and the top of trees inside the forest are illuminated by the full moon's light. This is the second time during this trip that we spend the night on the beach under the moon light. It is amazing to know how bright actually the full moon is. Usually its brightness is defeated by the city's lamps. We went back to the guest house at 7.30 pm and met the forest police patrolling on our way back.

We stayed at a guest house in Trianggulasi beach. It's very tempting to go to the beach to see the turtles as we can clearly hear the sound of the wave from our room. But, I chose to sleep earlier at 10 pm as we had to go again tomorrow morning to go back to Plengkung beach. Some of my friends still awake until midnight.

We're off from the guest house at 5.30 am. Aris seemed surprise to see our enthusiasm. We met the same driver as last night in Pancur, the starting point, and of course took the same antique off road specialist car again. This time, we arrived at Plengkung beach around 6.15 am. The tide at its low level in the morning, hence we could stroll along the beach line on the reef that usually covered by the water. But, there's no big waves yet at that time. The driver warned us to go up earlier as the sea water will slowly become higher and we can be trapped on the reef. We finish our roaming there at 7 am.

For surfer, Alas Purwo National Park is known for its G-land or Plengkung beach. The driver told us about some spot along the beach like tiger track, 20'-20', else. For some high rank officials, Alas Purwo National Park is known for its caves for meditating and asking for long lasting high level position in their career, money, else that tend to be related to material things. I'll be surprised if they ask for other people happiness instead of theirs. For me, Alas Purwo National Park is known for being rather unknown.

We've tried to chase the sunset in the forest; the turtle, the fishermen and the waves on the beach; the bird on the air; the monkeys on the trees and the garbage pile; the moon on the sky during our journey in stunning Meru Betiri and Alas Purwo National Park. Now..it's time for us to chase our flight back to Jakarta at 7.50 pm from Juanda airport-Surabaya. We arrived on the airport at 6 pm to have our flight delayed to > 8 pm. I can't noticed the time again :)


Pics are on http://perennialsteps.blogspot.com/2010/03/alas-purwo-national-park-feb10.html

About selizabeth


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.