Existing Member?

perennialsteps

a crater, a lake and a temple in Garut - West Java: Feb'10

INDONESIA | Thursday, 25 February 2010 | Views [1737]

bamboo rafting at Bagendit lake

bamboo rafting at Bagendit lake

Garut? What do I know about the city? I only know the city is famous for its "dodol", a sweet traditional food that I don't like. It turned out that the city has more than that. For example, the city is also famous for its "batik". Mostly the seller sell the batik at their home. When I said this is a home industry, the batik is really sold at a house. But, for people who do not like to shop on holiday, what else can the city offer? This time I went to Garut with my senior colleagus.


Kamojang Crater

The steam from the crater is used as geothermal energy source run by Pertamina, a state owned company that works in oil and gas industry. Some of the wells are also used as tourist attraction. Particularly, I like doing the walking to the craters and wells. The fresh air and the serenity are great. The view to Kamojang crater area is also stunning. I can be so impressed seeing pine and casuarina trees along the way. It is great that both the local people and the oil and gas company that operates here still conserve the trees.

Bagendit Lake

At first, I am not interested seeing the lake. My opinion definitely changed when I was on the bamboo raft in the middle of the lake. Sitting on the bamboo raft and enjoying the lake's view with the mountain as the background was remarkable. The rower offered me to go further to the lotus park in the lake. And it is even more beautiful there. The lotus plant grow there interchangeably with the "eceng gondok" plant. Most people won't interested seeing "eceng gondok" :) I went there in the morning around 10 am. I thought the lake will be more stunning on the afternoon. The rower also sells fresh fish and shrimp. The lake is not big, but I can see a lot of people depend on it for living. There are rowers, fishermen, street seller, and also a canoe athlete practicing on the lake. The rower also told me that most of the men from Garut working in Jakarta work as a barber. Some of barbers in Indonesia work under the tree, not inside a shop.

Cangkuang Temple

On the way to Cangkuang temple, the bus that I and my colleagues used cannot enter the area. So, we continued by "andong/delman", a horse-drawn carriage. The delman driver told us that actually the bus can enter the site. It is only forbidden if the bus carried foreigner. I was surprised because I and my colleagues are not foreigner. But the good thing was we can enjoy having a paddy field with its coconut trees view from the delman instead of from behind the bus window. Then, we need to take a bamboo raft ride to reach the Cangkuang temple. The raft fare here is far more expensive than the fare in Bagendit lake. In Bagendit lake, we only pay Rp30,000, meanwhile in Cangkuang temple we pay Rp60,000-Rp75,000 for a raft. It can be cheaper if your group consist of 25 people, so you can share the fare with other people. But, it'll be too long to wait if there are not many people there. So, we hired the raft privately and paid Rp60,000. The fare applies to and from Cangkuang temple. The temple is a small and simple one, and it becomes smaller if you compared with the visitor numbers.

One of Garut’s bussiness center area in Jl. Ciledug

When I was in one of the business center area in Garut waiting for my senior colleague do the "batik" shopping, I had some interesting scene. Well at first, it is annoying, like:
- The street singers and beggars do approach their "prospective customers" who are about to enter their car. On our case, they hopped in into our bus. I was shocked seeing stranger just got into your private bus just like that. In Jakarta, there are differences between street singers and thugs. The street singers in Jakarta will not do that on private bus. But then, I think because there are different points of view on people's personal space.
- The batik shops here are spreading among the alleys that not everyone knows where the location are. It would be better if the regional government give the batik sellers specific location. It would make the customers easier to find the location with broader option and it would help the sellers increase their sales.

Garut must have a lot of great places to share that I haven't visited yet. My favorite activity on my first visit in Garut is having a bamboo raft trip on Bagendit lake. I used to think that this kind of bamboo raft only available in Yangshuo - China :)


(I did this trip on Saturday and Sunday...off from Jakarta on Saturday morning, back in Jakarta om Sunday night.)

About selizabeth


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.