Existing Member?

Seiler World Tour

Thirty years young in Singapore!

SINGAPORE | Sunday, 27 July 2008 | Views [805] | Comments [4]

So, our second diary entry finds us in the city/country that is Singapore.


Our first night was spent in the 'Fragrance Hotel' - an ironically named budget hotel in Singapore's red light district, where ladies of the night lined the streets waiting to be picked up and three cockroaches greeted us under our pillow. Our visit thankfully picked up when we moved to a new hostel the next night called Lollypopcorn. Although not in the city centre, this homestay provided us with clean towels and bed sheets- a good base for visiting the city and a little insight to ordinary Singaporeans.

Singapore itself is a classy, modern, clean metropolis that appears to be taking control of its own future with the creation of a new resevoir, a pedestrians pathway around the city and the first night grand prix. We spent a large percentage of our time just walking around the city and now have the calf muscles to show for it!

To celebrate Kate's 30th, we splashed out on a plush room at the boutique hotel 'The New Majestic' based in China Town. The room was decorated in true traditional oriental style with opulent red silk walls and chinese lanterns. With a welcoming bottle of complimentary vino and a swimming pool on the roof terrace it was a real treat  - a world away from our back packing!


After enjoying a tour of the city followed by a dip in the pool, we donned our glad rags and headed out for dinner at the Pan Pacific hotel's 37th floor restaurant. Once recovered from our intial feeling of vertigo caused by taking the outside glass lift, we were able to enjoy the panoramic views while sampling the culinary delights of shark's fin soup. Not quite sure as to whether the dark floating bits were shark or exotic mushroom the lesson learned is: just don't ask! In truth, it was actually quite tasty.

The night ended in true style with a delicious Singapore Sling at Raffles Hotel - the only place you are allowed to legitimately drop litter in Singpore as the tradition is that you throw your peanut shells on the floor of the bar. We didn't take much encouragement and were soon joining in with the rest, flinging left, right and centre.


So 30 years young and ready for an exciting new era beginning with our long train journeys to Kuala Lumpur and then overnight to Bangkok in Thailand.

Comments

1

Howdo.....good to hear from you ! Hope the wedding went well. Cockroaches and red light districts ! If it was Manila you'd be eating the roaches by now - local delicacy...along with crushed pig snout. Must seem a long way away from the Bush House coffee cart.

All the best,
Keep in touch
Mark

  mark Jul 28, 2008 6:54 PM

2

You're much missed ...
Enjoy the insects and the fine hotels. Trust the bed linen is better than at Glastonbury.
Take care,
Rebecca

  rebecca Jul 28, 2008 6:56 PM

3

Wouldn't mind swapping my desk for a hostel in Singapore - sigh! Hope you got a chance to explore the night market in Singapore and the monorail to Sentosa Island. Am so jealous! Keep having fun and will keep reading your blog.
Thanks for the postcard.
dana xx

  Dana Jul 28, 2008 8:47 PM

4

Hey Bobby and Kate! I hope the wedding was truly wonderful and that the Haggis didn't split like your pantaloons that time.

Hmmmm, The Cockroach thing - I've come across this before - it's when the person tries to trick the tooth fairy by leaving tic-tacs under their pillow. God hears about it and is offended because he thinks you're trying to tell him his breath smells - and he turns them into either silverfish or cockroaches, depending on supplies and season to taste.

Mmmm, Lollypopcorn, sounds delish, and instead of a KFC clean-up tissue, they give you clean pre-moistened towl for your big mouth. But as you are finding out - roughing at and smoothing it make for a wonderfully balanced and contrasting view of all a country has to offer. Bet you was glad for a wash and a dry bed though.

Make sure you regale us with menus and ingredients - What are you guys eating? Please be adventurous with your lunches and dinners; you never know when you'll be back there and it's great to be able to tell people that you've eaten something outrageous, like "squid gonad ala with mushrooms in it". If you're not feeling that adventurous, you can do what I do and lie - and when they ask how a certain delicacy tastes, tell them, 'It tastes like Chicken'. You'll be amazed how often I've used that line and got away with it. People are so gullible at Nandos.

Wish I was on a holiday.

Oliver just came back from the States today and gave me 'Chocolate-Mix' flavour Skittles. YES, Skittles - taste the rainbow! HE wouldn't try them because they sound too disgusting, but they were quite nice in a 'brown' kind of way.

Anyways. I wish you both continued happy travels. It is lovely to know how you are doing.
Matey, office ain't the same with out you.

Keep us posted and I'll check in to see how you guys are doing.

But tell me about the food!!!

Shanmeister General x


  Shan Pillay Jul 28, 2008 9:33 PM

About seilerworldtour


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.