Existing Member?

Travel, The Mentor

Poverty Is Real, Appreciate Your Lives

THAILAND | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [148] | Scholarship Entry

Hey guys, I want to cover a special topic today. This particular subject has brought enlightenment to the way I perceive life. I’m going to discuss poverty, unfold the various different layers, and portray how Thailand aided me to uncover the truth. During my travels here, I’ve examined the method in which this 3rd world country runs on. It’s been painful to be an eyewitness to what actual poverty is… Before we begin, I’ll cover the definition of poverty. What is it? Many would define it as “the state of being extremely poor.” I would agree for the most part, but this digs much deeper than that. Let’s dive into this rabbit hole and see the authenticity it nurtures.

Did you walk through miles of hot terrain to fetch a bucket of water? These are the troubles other people face. They have a struggle to survive. The western world has got it completely wrong. In my opinion, this is why travel is important in our lives. It helps people acknowledge that a warm home, sufficient amount of food, and clean access to water is everything. The crowd chases the North American dream; a big beautiful house, a luxurious car, a well-paying job, and a vacation to a resort of their choice. The funny thing is they will never be satisfied. Why? Well it is never enough. You will always try to top your neighbor, friend, or relative. The thirst for “better” captivates the brain. Honestly, it becomes a competition that is never ending. This is why I’ve beginning to appreciate my worldly experiences. Traveling is a teacher that educates through “seeing.”
Believe me, I’m not perfect. I make mistakes too, I lose focus on just being happy with what I have, or if something didn’t go right. It’s our job to analyze what went wrong, and understand we live rich lives. This self-proclaimed Elysium we chase is nothing more than a prison. My goal is to be satisfied with what I have because I know that I could have been born on the other side by chance. That in retrospection makes me tremendously grateful.

As I traveled through several poverty struck countries, it has shown me how much I want to strive to save the world. Superheroes exist on our planet, they may not hold extraordinary powers, but they do have the influence to change lives. I want to be among that exclusive group. When my life gives out, I want to be able to say; “I MADE A DIFFRENCE!” I have countless more life lessons to gain, but I know the direction I’m flying towards, undoubtedly obtains great meaning.The Man of Tomorrow.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About seekwanderlust


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.