Existing Member?

Into the Abyss: An Anthropological Study

Rainy Tuesday in Paris

FRANCE | Thursday, 11 November 2010 | Views [557] | Comments [2]

I am writing from the polished stone floor in a Sciences Po corridor. Today, the students of this great institution don't know what to do with themselves. All the libraries have been simultaneously closed for some reason, and it's very wet and unpleasant outside. So we are all strategically huddled in groups on the floor around powerpoints. The culture of going to class and studying is very different here. The library has pretty good computer facilities, so ordinarily a large percentage would be seen hovering over desks, standing near people who look like they might have nearly finished with a desktop. But pretty much everyone has a laptop anyway (90% of which are macs). Unlike at Melbourne Uni, though, there aren't many organised spaces in which to use them, or indeed to just sit and study with good old-fashioned books. There are a few student lounges which are always packed, but they are essentially cafeterias and lack power outlets. Nevertheless, between classes people usually study there, regularly breaking off to buy steaming 50c cups of coffee or hot chocolate from the machines. And they are studying. Usually when I say I'm studying at uni, I'm actually hanging out at the Rowden White Library, reading comics or snoozing in a bean bag. I get very funny looks when I bring out a novel in a student lounge. Yesterday, I couldn't stand the strain of making it through a day without my nap, so I found an empty bit of carpet, used my handbag as a pillow and fell asleep, and people looked at me like I was crazy. Fair enough too, given that I was 20 minutes late to a class as a result.


While the continuous rain of the past week has made going into class quite arduous for me, the Frenchies seem to handle it with equanimity. They are used to it and have developed coping strategies. Even the lecturers have come up with ways to alleviate the stress of constant rain. For example, in my art history lecture which has a scheduled break (un pause) the professor always seems to be keeping one eye on the weather, so she can pace her talking in accordance with the rain. In this way, the break can take place in a period of as little rain as possible, so that the legions of students can all duck out for a smoke. The pause is also an important coffee-obtaining time, so it's important to leave your seat immediately and be the first to arrive at the machine, otherwise you run the risk of waiting for ages in a queue. Fortunately, I don't have to stress about finding food or anything like that. Sciences Po has a “CROUS” program, which basically means a cafeteria system, where you can buy really cheap, delicious, huge baguette sandwiches. The only problem is that I'm getting sick of baguettes.


I have started getting in a pattern for walking to uni, which is complicated by the rain. Today I brought with me:

An umbrella

My winter coat

A scarf

Two pairs of gloves, one fingerless and fingered

Socks

An emergency back-up pair of socks

Leg warmers (for when the bottom of my jeans get soaked from puddles)

Hat

Emergency back-up hat


Using the bicycle system is less tempting when it rains. Fortunately it's not too much more dangerous, due to the absence of tram tracks. But it is exceptionally wet. It takes a special sort of courage to sit on a very wet bike seat and risk riding the potholed streets full of puddles. Parisians seem to agree with me. There are more cars on the roads and fewer bikes.


My uni work is becoming genuinely interesting, but still not genuinely difficult. The teachers here require nothing less than complete and total dedication to their subjects to the exclusion of all other activities, but nothing more than a fairly low baseline of intellectual curiosity. I think I've said this here before, but I'll say it again: the point of French education is to learn things, not to understand things. Of course you can't generalise. I have met some truly amazing people while studying here. But I am often struck by the behaviour and attitude of French students. They are more big children than young adults. They need organised and specified programs of study and don't have much interest in self-directed work or research. They expect to put in a lot of work, but only in the areas that their teachers prescribe. The administration also treats people more like school students. Maybe it is simply because the French bureaucracy has to deal with so many more people than in Australia, particularly in universities, but everything is much more controlled. However, typically of France, the high level of control does not lead to a corresponding high level of organisation.


Things are good at home. Arguments are kept to a minimum because we have a cleaner come once a week to do the more onerous chores. Plus I'm pretty determined to contain my natural untidiness to my bedroom and keep communal areas nice. Maud is an awesome housemate. The only problem is that if I had a horrible housemate, I would probably go out more and see Paris. I'm experiencing a bit of guilt because so much of my time is taken up simply by living and studying, and I so rarely have the energy to go out and explore the city. I suppose, though, that that is the natural consequence of actually living in a city. I still haven't visited the Louvre or seen the Arc de Triomphe, but I did those things when I was a tourist when I was younger. The real French culture I'm experiencing is located in interactions with waiters, wandering down Boulevard Saint-Germain and trying to buy clothes without essential vocabulary like “size” and “fabric”. In that respect, Paris is starting to feel like home. I'm doing better with the language too. My reading skills have improved dramatically since I bought a copy of “Harry Potter et le Prince de Sang-Mele”, and I make sure I learn at least one new word a day. I'm still having problems with my accent, but I feel like it's a bit better, and I'm finding it easier to string more complex sentences together. I owe this principally to the help of my friends, who seem to know that I need both correction and positive reinforcement.


A quick note. I feel I can finally admit this. I'm not doing fencing. I epically failed at organising it. More bureaucratic problems. But I'm certainly more active than I was in Melbourne. I can't imagine having a car now, and most things are located within walking distance of my apartment. The only time I miss my car is when doing shopping. There are heaps of little supermarkets around my flat, but the best is Monoprix on Boulevard St-Michel, about 500 metres away. I always, always overbuy and end up nearly in tears by the time I get home, trying to massage life back into my fingers. But at least there's a lift in my apartment building.


Anyway, enough procrastination! I have to get back to analysing the role of Einstein in Parisian avant garde movements, and evaluating depictions of homosexuality in post-socialist Europe. Later dudes.

Comments

1

Lovely blog Tess. Good idea with the backup emergency hat! The walking and the supermarkets, Boulevard Saint-Germain sound great - I remember walking down there when I was in Paris a few years ago. xx

  Katy Nov 13, 2010 4:12 PM

2

Hi Tessa, an emergency back up hat, oh my you do have to be organised to leave your flat. It is pouring with rain here too, so I sympathise with your plight. Love reading about your life in Paris, so glad when you have a chance to procrastinate and update us.

Love Sue xx

  sue mitra Nov 13, 2010 5:10 PM

About scigwen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.