Existing Member?

sayantanfilms

Chinchechi Talim : A day in the life of a pehelwan

INDIA | Tuesday, 5 November 2013 | Views [1246]

The video features indian form of wrestling, locally known as kushti. The video sneaks in a day of a kushti fighter, to celebrate the modest life at chinchechi talim against bustling life at Pune, India

Kushti is an old Indian form of wrestling . Kushti represents much older thread of Indian culture. Kushti learning centers, locally known as ‘Talim’ or ‘Aakhra’ is not merely an arsenal but also a way of life, which ushers a sense of community , a sense of unity. However with the marked degeneration of kushti and fast invasion of personal working out equipments  , the sense of community is crumbling down. Even while working out we are isolated which is deeply symptomatic of our post colonial and post modern dis-ease. Colonialism seeks to demolish a country’s culture, history  and the unity rooted into its communities. Therefore the introduction of new sophisticated equipments by the neocolonial enterprises undermines and threatens the existence of an old cultural community such as ‘Kushti’. I was also drawn by the simplicity and the ‘down to earth’ lifestyle of the ‘Pahelwans’ (Kushti proficient), their historic tales , their dedication and respect for our cultural heritage.

About sayantanacharya


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.