Existing Member?

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Singapore the Sparkly!

SINGAPORE | Thursday, 2 December 2010 | Views [339]

Greetings from Singapore!  We've been here for a few days and have one more day to spend... We had to leave Cambodia in order to get Noman’s business visa approved (Ahh!  It’s a mess!), so Singapore was one of our only options of places to go to for the moment.  Immigration departments are so strange… why do you have to leave the country & then come right back again in order to get a visa anyway?  I don’t understand.  Maybe one of you has more insight into this?  It doesn’t seem very logical to me, although I know many countries have this type of procedure.

But, back to the matter at hand - might as well make the best out of visa craziness & enjoy a trip to Singapore, right?! J  Life is tough… I know, I know… Lol.

Singapore is TOTALLY, COMPLETELY, 100% different than I'd ever expected... not that I'd ever spent much time thinking about what Singapore was even like, to be honest ... but now that I’m here, I have to say that it's kind of like being in the matrix.  It’s the most super advanced country I've ever been to.  Noman & I keep laughing everywhere we go because we're so amazed by - well, everything!  I really thought I was going to see hover crafts flying over the taxi tonight... It's hard to explain, but it's just like the most super-dee advanced, hi-tech, shiny place on earth.  It’s a city & country all wrapped up nicely in one big bow, since Singapore City is the only city in the entire country of about 5 million folks.  I did not know that! 

And its nickname is The “Fine” City because apparently you can get fined for pretty much anything here in Singapore.  I did not know that either!  If you don't cross at a designated crosswalk… watch out for the fining police!  Drink or eat on any form of public transportation – yikes!  They’re coming to get you!  Want to buy some chewing gum while you’re here?  Don’t even think about it!  It’s actually illegal!  I’m serious… no chewing gum allowed!

And I’m fairly certain that Santa Claus must live here by the way everything is so decorated in lights.  If you have some free time, I’m sure google images must include some stunning shots of Orchard Road in Singapore during the Christmas season.  It’s AMAZING!!!  Lights, trees, & glowing snowflakes galore! 

We ended up in a mall that made my jaw drop because it was the nicest, poshiest mall I’d ever seen (only about 6 or 7 stories, mind you)… only to see ANOTHER one of the nicest, poshiest malls I’d ever seen only 2 blocks away… then ANOTHER a few blocks down the street from that.  There are malls everywhere!  It’s like the shopping, commercial capitol of the planet!  We found a movie theater and were checked in as if we were at the airport, having to choose the specific seats we wanted and everything!  

All in all, it's a very cool place to visit thus far, especially for those of you who like to shop til you drop… but I think by Saturday I’ll be ready to get back to good ol' Cambodia J

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.