Existing Member?

Brenda and Sarah take on Oz!

Keeping Cool in Tasmania

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 17 June 2014 | Views [430]

Enjoying the views on Bruny Island.

Enjoying the views on Bruny Island.

We’ve spent the last 3 days in Tasmania, or “Tassie” as the locals call it. We’re currently waiting for our flight in the one-room Hobart airport. Even though we’ve only been here a few days, we have bumped into three people we know at the airport this evening, which is a great snapshot of life in Hobart. It’s a city that feels like a small town, where people are quick to strike up a conversation or give you a hand if you look lost. The scenery is breathtaking and many of the buildings are grand historic structures. It is also very cold. We were warned before we came that we’d be cold, but the Canadian in me just rolled my eyes at their weakness. I was wrong. It was COLD! Part of the problem is that I didn’t pack for what feels like a Canadian winter. The other problem was the lack of heating in our hostel. We slept in double layers of socks, two sweaters, scarves and two comforters. I guess for $22 a night, insulation and heat is a luxury.  All I know, is I’m looking forward to warming up in Sydney!

 

Our first morning in Hobart was spent at the local craft and food market, sampling all sorts of treats and checking out beautiful handicrafts, all created in Tassie. We then rented some bikes and headed off to explore the city on its great bike path that runs along the railroad. We biked well over 20km and got a really great feel for the city and it’s people. I think cycling is one of the best ways to see a city, without the confines of a car, which can make one feel quite isolated from their surroundings. We spent the evening walking around North Hobart, a cute street of shops and restaurants before heading back to our hostel for some early R&R.

 

On Sunday, we woke up bright and early for a tour of Bruny Island, a small and narrow island south of Hobart. Our tour included more breathtaking views, which very much reminded me of Newfoundland with vibrant greens, jagged rocks and crashing waves. The tour also included gourmet food stops, which has made me even more of a foodie, something I never thought I’d say before arriving in Oz. We sampled ah-mazing chocolates, potent cheeses, fresh oysters (those of you who know my aversion to seafood, know this was a big step for me!) and scones hot out of the oven with fresh cream and jelly. Sitting outside, watching the waves crash in and enjoying the mouthwatering pastries, I once again found myself closing my eyes to truly revel in my senses, enjoying both the taste and smells of the scones as well as the sounds of the earth. We also stopped at a whiskey house, where Brenda and I splurged on a whiskey sampler. I’m not a big Whiskey drinker but it was interesting to taste how different they can be. It also worked to warm us up!

 

In the evening we headed down to the Wharf where part the bi-annual Dark MOFO festival of arts was taking place. It’s a festival similar to Nuit Blanche in Toronto with multiple interactive and outdoor art exhibits throughout the city. We hadn’t planned on being in the city for the festival so it was an added bonus for our weekend.

 

I spent today at the very cool Museum of Old and New Art (MONA), a creepy, fascinating and very different Museum. Someone had told me it was a museum with everything you would never see at a museum, which is a pretty apt description. The museum is relatively new and was built by a professional gambler who grew up and still lives in Hobart. He built the museum as a way to give back to the city he loves and it is free admission for anyone from Tasmania. On my way to the museum I met my first Canadian on the road and we enjoyed comparing notes on our impressions and how much Tasmania reminds us of the East Coast of Canada.

 

We spent the rest of the afternoon exploring Battery Point which is a tangle of streets with old cottages and buildings that feels like it’s right out of England. We found ourselves lost, stopping in for a pint to get out of the rain in a historic building before asking directions to get us back to the city.

 

We are about to board our flight to Sydney where my friend Stef will be meeting us. She and her family are graciously hosting us and I can’t wait to spend time with her and get the insiders view of a world famous city!

P.S. Check out more photo's from Tasmania and Melbourne in the Gallery to the right! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

About sarahlizweaver


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.