Existing Member?

Sarah's Amazing Adventures My experience as a world traveler

Happy 20th Birthday!

SPAIN | Saturday, 2 June 2007 | Views [1211]

            The next weekend was my birthday.  I thought it would be weird to be here for my birthday instead of celebrating with my family and friends, but it ended up being pretty nice.  On Sunday, I woke up and went to the kitchen to eat breakfast and the whole family was there.  They all wished me “felicidades” and gave me “dos besos.”  They also had a present and a card for me.  The card was really nice and the present was a box of chocolates and a mixed CD of Spanish music that Maite made for me.  I was really excited because who doesn’t like chocolate and I hadn’t heard a lot of Spanish music yet.

            After breakfast I headed to the bus station to meet Christina, Samantha, Whitney, Jess, and Carla.  We decided to go to San Sebastian (the coast/the beach about an hour away) to just relax for the day.  We spent the entire day just laying on the beach, hanging out, and chatting.  The only time we even got up was to go find lunch.  We wanted to just go to a grocery store to buy lunchmeat and bread, but unfortunately everything is closed on Sundays in Spain.  After looking around for a while, we were getting really hungry and decided to just go to McDonald’s.  I mean, yeah we’re in Spain, but we’ve definitely had plenty of Spanish food, and it was cheap!  Whitney, Jess, and Carla bought me a birthday pastry and surprised me with it which was really cute.  They ended up going back to Pamplona a couple of hours earlier than the rest of us.  On the way back to the bus station around 7pm, Christina bought me ice cream which was really nice of here as well.

            When we got back, I rushed to my house because I knew my family was waiting to have dinner with me.  Amparo had made me an apple cake which we ate for dessert and it was delicious!  Also, everything is healthier in Spain so I didn’t feel quite as bad about eating my third dessert for the day!  Yikes!

            The next morning I checked my email and found out that my amazing friends back at OU had made a video for me of course all orchestrated by the lovely Miss Jessica Hurtt (my roommate!).  I was so excited to see it and it was hilarious!  I was watching it in my classroom in between classes and cracking up and everyone looked at me like I was insane.  A few people came over to watch it with me, and thought that it was great.  They said, “Aww…that’s so great!  I wish my friends liked me!”  Haha, I felt so special!  Although it kind of made me miss everyone more, it was great to be able to hear from my friends.  Thanks again everyone!  You can see the video by clicking on the link for YouTube.  P.S. I love that Nick's picture is huge at the top of this (not my doing).  Overall, it was a great birthday and I’ll always remember that I spent my 20th on the beach and I got an amazing video from my wonderful friends!

Tags: Party time

About sarahjo


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.