Existing Member?

Sarah's Amazing Adventures My experience as a world traveler

Night Life in Barcelona

SPAIN | Wednesday, 30 May 2007 | Views [2543]

            Before we headed out to dinner, we hung out in the lobby.  The girls drank the wine they had bought on the way back to the hostel.  Two guys were sitting at the table next to us.  They asked us for a corkscrew to drink their wine, and Erin let them borrow hers.  We ended up talking to them for a while.  They were from Brazil, and they were studying in Salamanca (a city close to Madrid).  We were getting hungry so we told them we might see them around the hostel sometime later.  We ate tapas for dinner at a restaurant in a plaza.  We ate outside because it was a nice night.  Afterward, we walked around trying to find a good bar or someplace to hang out for the night.  We were walking down Las Ramblas when a guy with some flyers stopped us.  Trying to be nice, Erin started talking to him when he asked her a question, but he was a little shady so we were trying to end the conversation politely somehow.  He gave each of us dos besos (two kisses on the cheek; a custom in Spain) which was fine until he got to Samantha.  He basically was trying to grope her before we could get him away from her.  When we finally got away she was crying and I felt really bad that we hadn’t done something to stop it from happening in the first place.

            Pretty soon after that occurrence we ran into the guys from the hostel.  We found out that their names were Louis and Miller and we decided to stick with them to avoid any more problems with the guys on the streets.  It was actually pretty dangerous in Barcelona.  There were always very shady/creepy people on the streets trying to talk to us so we’d walk really close together and quickly all the time.  Also, our hostel was kind of in a dangerous part of town which we didn’t know beforehand.  Anyway, we went to a bar with Louis and Miller.  We hung out for a while and it was actually a really good time.  The bar was kind of dead because it was a Wednesday, but I liked it better that way without the smoke and crowdedness.  After a while everyone wanted to go somewhere else.  We ended up at a dance club/bar which I really didn’t like.  I just didn’t really feel comfortable after what had happened earlier and I wasn’t really comfortable with the girls to just let my guard down.  I hung out there for a while though because I knew the other girls were having a good time.  Louis taught Erin how to dance Brazilian-style and they ended up dancing together the whole night.  I eventually got too bored and couldn’t take it anymore so Christina and Samantha walked me back to the hostel.  Overall though, it was a fun day/night.

Tags: Party time

About sarahjo


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.