Existing Member?

Tog

Jordan - a Trip

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 13 January 2013 | Views [562]

A trip to Jordan to visit Petra...awesome! An absolutely terrific day starts with an early morning and congregation of bodies as we head for our buses (I am in charge of my bus group and my tour leader (Sami) is fantastic - a little frosty to start but once he gets talking, well he is fantastic). It is quite a long journey through Aqaba to Petra and a long walk (well power walk) to the ancient site from where our bus drops us off. Hoards of tourist jostle past each other, horses gallop and carts whizz past with some terrified pensioners and screaming children. A surprisingly quick walk down (I say this because the walk back takes longer) past carved stone and past the ticket collector that is shouting at tourists the first sight of the red rock is fantastic. Through the cavernous like walls with dust whirling around the thick hot air, the Treasury stands carved into the red sandstone...it is huge. This ancient site really encourages your imagination, how did they build this? How did they create such intricate details 40meters high?

Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to see the whole site; I spent a lot of time at the Treasury and with the Jordanian tourist touts. On every travel I have met some fantastic people and although we are always encouraged to avoid the tourist touts I have met some interesting characters. This one young man resembles Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean films...his eyes are heavily lined with black, his shirt hangs roughly while leather wraps around his wrist and head is covered with a dirty fabric allowing strands of dark hair to fall by his face. He is in the company of his camel. Tourists love to get the perfect shot in front of the Treasury sat atop a camel (maybe it is an ode to Indiana Jones), and this means business for the young man. His camel on the other hand doesn't appear too bothered, he is quite happy biting into a fanta orange bottle to quench his thirst. While I talk to him, he finds the English very interesting, he gestures for camel rides finally giving up and having a 'colleague' pester other tourists. He surprises me with an uncanny Del Boy repetition of quotes and I suddenly begin to realise that all the young men and children are calling out 'lovely jubbly' amongst other gestures.

Walking back to the coach provides a challenge; it's a mission that seems never ending. Passing visitors as they clamber rocks for photo opportunities or take rest on benches you find yourself diving out of the way of horses and carriages that are determined to go straight for you, all the while battling for breath from dust and occasional climbs. Every rock you pass is another chance to see more of the site, to look maybe at something you missed while also identifying familiar spots to judge your progress. As soon as you reach the top of the site, the belief that the walk is almost over is shattered...there is still that long stretch of stony path which has seemed to grow but it’s brilliant. Looking at the surroundings at Petra and the odd tree, dry and alone it really does feel as though you were Indiana Jones (just a shame that you are desperate for a drink and the bottle of water you are carrying is now warm and not so refreshing).

Now as the gateway entrance comes into sight, the thought of the lunch ahead provides that last bit of energy. Returning to the coach, again one of the last returnees as usual, I count everyone is onboard and enjoy the brief air conditioning while looking back at my photographs. We head to a hotel that overlooks the Jordanian landscape towards Petra but little time at this moment is spent enjoying it, instead I run to the loo...finally, after 6 hours! Now lunch!!! I enter a room, simple but lovely and am approached by the restaurant manager. A nice gentleman he provides a warm welcome and directs me to a quiet seat with a fellow tourist. Now what I didn't expect was some rather brilliant treatment. Free drinks of my choosing and attentive service, it almost made up with the slightly less than interesting company I had. Fresh salads, cooked pulses and vegetables and bread were of the order followed by some fantastic coffee and sticky baklava. Then the manager returns, he wants to give me a tour of the grounds and of course my curiosity takes lead and I follow him to outside to a pool surrounded by relaxing dancers and explorers. He points out the mountainous landscape and the Bedouin tent which he leads me towards. It is beautiful; I will admit it is dressed for the tourist adorned with traditional yet comfortable furniture, but the view and shade means I take time to relax. As I talk to the manager I notice clothing hanging. It is traditional dress and before I know it I am being dressed in it and this becomes quite a fun adventure. Choosing the perfect outfit feels almost like a trip to LK Bennet and a personal shopping experience, I choose a long black tunic with embroidered detail in purple whilst the manager picks out a purple headdress which he wraps around my head brushing aside my hair. Surprisingly it is cool and I love it and so does my tour guide that has appeared for photo opportunities. However, again I find that such special treatment isn't for everyone as fellow tourists are told off for touching and trying the garments. I decide to return to my shorts and t-shirt.

 

After this short visit to the hotel where I spend the rest of my time in conversation with Sami (the tour guide) we drive back to base. The journey back is even more beautiful as the sun begins to set and the mixture of colours in the sky is just breathtaking. I want the coach to stop on so many occasions to grab a photograph but unfortunately we have a schedule to stick to. I relax into my chair and enjoy the journey which involves a few odd jokes with some of the elder tourists and the discussion of how I should stay in Jordan with Sami. He wants me to meet his mother, he loves that I cook and doesn't mind me being a vegetarian. The only problem is he can't afford me...he doesn't have enough camels but we negotiate a Lamborghini as a down payment (once he buys one...we all dream).

Tags: ancient sites, desert, food, on the road, sunsets, tour

About sarahg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.