Existing Member?

TRAVEL DIARY!!

KENYA =)

KENYA | Friday, 6 August 2010 | Views [194]

Right...Finally getting round to recording my trip to Kenya..on day 3...but i think that reflects how hectic and amazing it was been so far!! Day one was really tiresome...after an 8 hour flight i finally arrived at Nairobi airport to be greated by the longest queue i have ever soon for a visa..so after a long wait i finally got through and retrieved my baggage easily. The wait also allowed me to calm down after the severe turbulance on the plane... cups falling off trays etc..!! ..i chatted to couple of older teachers in the queue which was nice aswell. Richard met me at the airport and with relief i made my way to the car...to be told i had to wait for another girl who hadnt arrived yet.

2 HOURS later we made our way to the car but i filled my time talkimg to a volunteer who was leaving called Fiona =)...now up for 24 hrs i was ready for bed.

Finally we arrived and i was shown to my room. i then met up with rachel and i was so relieved to see she was ok!!! "you coming then? we're off out"..was my next conversation...at this point i was so tired but there was no way i was going to sleep now...

we headed out on the bus with the other volunteers to see the projects we had as an option to work at... the LCC (Limuru Childrens Centre) the nest (the orphanage) a medical centre...the hope school, the half way house (baby house for baby's with mothers in prison). it was facinating to look around and have a first hand experience of kenyan culture and living.. it also gave me the chance to meet everybody properly...

there are lots of people here...

Tash - lesbian, northen, stripper - ha but so so lovely and a real live wire =) shes so funny and we're got on so so well :o)

Rachel who i already know :o)

Jenny - Canadian, really cute snuffly lisp, really frindly and quirky!! shes lovely and is in my cottage... i need to get to know  her better but i really like her :o)

Santina - Canadian, really animated and funny =) ..in my cottage

Alysa - lesbian, very cuddly and sweet :o) really open personality and very easy to get on with

Joelle - the girl i met at the airport, she's german and she is nice enough but really ahrd to get to know and seems quite strange and very different to many of the girls here.

Alitha- from Vagina..shes lovely and very subdued ...seems very wise and non- judgemental!!

Sam - heleriously funny, very outgoing and very kind gentle giant =)

Lucy - sams sister...very girly, petite and looks very innocent but has a very quirky personality

3 older women i havent really got to know from Toronto...

2 polish older ladies in our cottage ..again that i dn't really know wll because of th age difference

Ing and Rose - from the netherlands...very nice and easy to talk to but need to get to know them better

Leanne from UK who is lovely teaching assistanmt but leaves tomorrow...

Ryan - a south african from johannesberg but seems very up himself and arrogant but time will tell...

probably more but it seems like there are new faces all the time..

the staff here are great! eric is a real character and the chefs and cleaners are really friendly!!!

also on the first day whilst travelling back from the projects we were attacked by a giant gate on th van and thought we had ran somebody over...what an experience!!! lol ..it meant we had to stop on banana hill which is really dangerous and it was really freaky =/ lol

the second day we went to the nest and had the opportunity to see a lesson taught...i helped a young boy with his maths and he was so eager to learn...and picked things up very fast which was extremely rewarding!

we went there again yesterday and rachel and i took the primary class and played games and sang songs! they were so rhythmical!!! it was fantastic..they taught us songs called balance the ball and i want i want!

i have caught up loads now so i shall leave the rest of my story for tomorrow..

but food is great...weather is now great after a cold start and the people are great =)

bye for now xxx

About sarahcrystal


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.