Existing Member?

it's a long way from whitley bay... Hi everyone and welcome to our journal where you can see and read what we've been up to and where we're going next. We hope you enjoy it, and would love you to keep in touch with your news, and send us your comments! Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x ;)

Golden Bay, Picton and Wellington

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 12 May 2008 | Views [1060] | Comments [4]

Hi everyone,

We finally made it to the North Island!

After the Mediterranean-like Abel Tasman National park, we made it up as far as Golden Bay on the far Northern shores of the South Island, where we stayed in a nice little hippyish town called Takaka, and managed to find a temporary engagement ring for Sarah in a shop full of psychadelic T-shirts and goblin-shaped candles. The ring actually smells of incense!

Early morning mist in Golden Bay

We also visited the world's largest and purest freshwater springs at the slightly inappropriately named 'Pupu' and stopped at another nice little town called Pohara, which is only really worth mentioning so that we can include this sign we spotted there:-



Brilliant!

After another couple of days grinning at each other and putting our fellow campers off their breakfasts we thought we'd better put our travel hats back on (literally in Phil's case - the hair is getting really quite shaggy now) and get moving again.

So on Thursday we caught the Interislander ferry from Picton to Wellington. We were lucky enough to have a sunny day and a very smooth crossing, which was (as we have become accustomed to...) very scenic as the ferry passes through the Queen Charlotte Sound for the first 90 minutes or so of the crossing before reaching the Cook Strait and arriving in Wellington.

Interisland sheep

Now of course none of you will need telling that though it is only NZ's third largest city, 'Welly' is the capital (apparently some ill-educated folk think Auckland is the capital. Tch).

Wellington harbour (viewed from the warmth of a bar!)

We really loved it. It is a very cosmopolitan city, with lots of funky shops, galleries, and loads of cultural stuff going on. Which we largely ignored and went to the zoo instead to see a one legged Kiwi!

Tahi ('One Leg' in Maori) has had a fairly eventful life and is a bit of a local celebrity. He was caught in a gin trap (which are used a lot round here for 'pests' such as stoats and possums), and left his leg in it. Poor old Tahi was rescued by Wellington Zoo, and has been a star attraction since. They even got the production team who made Lord of the Rings to make him a prosthetic leg, but he didn't take to it and seems to be happier hopping about looking for worms, the crazy dude.

We also visited the fantastic Te Papa museum and went on a cable car ride to get views back over the city. It is quite a hilly place and some of the private residents have their own cable cars to access their houses - we are jealous!

Oh and last but not least, we also went shopping in Wellington - for an engagement ring! This took a bit of time since Sarah has never worn rings (or indeed any 'proper' jewellery at all!), and didn't have a clue what she wanted. To start with at least. By day 2, she had actually become surprisingly decided - on a design that not a single jeweller in Wellington had... so we had to order it to be made specially!

It's a three stone ring - with one golden-coloured diamond (like the sun - aaahh), and two small white ones to either side. We'll pick it up in Auckland next week (hopefully it'll be ready or we'll never make it to South America!) - and post a photo then for anyone who's interested in these things!

Since we arrived on the North Island the weather has taken a bit of a turn for the worse. So we've been mooching about doing not very much in some of towns on the South- West coast (Palmerston North and Waingaru) and crossing our fingers that by the time we get up to Lake Taupo - our next major stop - the sun will have come back and we can get our walking boots back on.

Until then, there's always another game of scrabble and a baked potato in the microwave...

All for now then. Lots of love,

Sarah and Phil x x

p.s. No we don't want to hear any more stories about how London has gone tropo and Whitley Bay is the new Bondi!

Comments

1

Who's the down and out in the cafe?
Liked the kiwi story.
Hope the sun's shining again by now.
Love Mum xxx

  Mum B May 15, 2008 7:54 PM

2

Hello you two,

Well yet again i feel sadly lacking in news but ill fill you in on the details of my life anyhow! The weather here has been truly lovely over the last week but has changed today and is gloomy again. All of this hot weather makes digging on the allotment very hard work- i had a go yesterday and could hardly get the fork in the ground. Dastardly sun! However it has made everything sprout very quickly (including the nettles and non welcome brambles!).

Also 'sat in' for a show last night La cages aux folles which seemed to be about a tran-sexual cabaret show- quite bizarre! Today i am doing a gig with my quartet for the rotary club who have requested all sorts of peculiar music so could be almost as strange as last night but hopefully an opportunity to do some marketing...

Inn other news... the actual news has been so depressing recently- i presume you have heard about china. They have talked a lot about the panda reserve near Chengdu- is this the one you visited? It is so sad but at least the Chinese government seem to be doing everything they can. Wilson seems a bit off his food recently- i think it might be because of the warm weather so i have tried putting it in the fridge to see if that helps. Mums birthday today so they are off on there walking weekend (Mum was very impressed and pleased to receive your parcel!). Dad has his knee operation booked in for next wednesday now which is good news- i might try and go down next week as i need to go to howarths and it would fit in quite well if dad is not too mobile and needs an extra pair of hands.

Simon is still busy in Sunderland and i have started to do my stint there too- still waiting to hear if there are any cheap tickets (can you send me a contact number for Yvonne in case there is a chance to meet up?). We are hoping to get away for a weekend in june when simon hjas some time off- it's all getting a bit tedious now with him being away so much so it will be great if we can get away. Really looking forward to seeing you both when you get back- it doesn't seem like that long now. Lots of love XXX

  anna May 16, 2008 8:48 PM

3

apologies for the sp. errors etc and peculiar paragraphs- didn't read it through before i posted. oops! x

  anna May 16, 2008 8:50 PM

4

Just a little footnote to Anna's comment re La Cage Aux Folles - have you seen the films? The original French is definitely the best - really hilarious. I'll have to look on Amazon to see if they have it available.
What amazing views you've been seeing in NZ - a truly beautiful country.
Lots of Love xx

  Uncle Cliff & Michele May 18, 2008 12:50 AM

About sarahandphil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.