Existing Member?

it's a long way from whitley bay... Hi everyone and welcome to our journal where you can see and read what we've been up to and where we're going next. We hope you enjoy it, and would love you to keep in touch with your news, and send us your comments! Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x ;)

Newsflash!

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 7 May 2008 | Views [1023] | Comments [4]

Stillwell Beach: we both needed a sit down after...

Stillwell Beach: we both needed a sit down after...

Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know that we're engaged! Phil proposed on Tuesday and luckily the beard and two weeks holed up in a campervan hadn't put Sarah off and she said yes!

Guess we should fill you in on the details.....like was it romantic or was it over another meal of baked beans and jacket potatoes in a campervan? Did Sarah say "Only if the beard goes and you get a haircut because I'm not marrying a yeti"? Did Phil get down on one knee or did his dodgy ankle stop him?

Well it was actually on a deserted beach in the middle of a 7(!) hour walk down the coast of Abel Tasman National Park at the top of New Zealand's South Island. We stumbled across a beautiful big beach with no one on it and Phil got down on one knee and popped the question: "Did you remember my flask?", er, not really, "Will you marry me?".

The setting... and our only witness!

Sarah welled up a bit (hopefully tears of happiness rather than the prospect of a lifetime with this type of humour....) and said "Of course I will". Which was a relief as it would have made the 3 hour walk back to the van a bit awkward if she hadn't!

There's no date set yet and also no ring. You can tell Sarah isn't marrying Phil for his organisational skills can't you? Still, it's not easy to buy a ring when you're spending most of your time in a van or up a glacier!

Though as every engagement requires a big rock, here's one we found yesterday...


Actually we did find a real temporary ring in a craft shop in Takaka near where we got engaged. It's not exactly 24 carat but will act as a stand in until we can get to a jeweller's!

We're in Nelson now, at the top of the South Island and are getting the ferry over to Wellington on Thursday. Hopefully we'll find a ring there. We'll let you know if we do.

That's all for now!

Love from Phil and Sarah x x

P.S. we celebrated on Tuesday night with champagne in our campervan! Now that is classy....

Comments

1

CONGRATULATIONS (NEARLY) MRS & MRS SHAW!

Fantastic news and something to look forward to when you return to Ol' Blighty! As for buying 'the rock', I believe tradition dictates that the fella should spend a month's salary on the engagement ring - Sarah, I think you might be better off waiting until Phil is gainfully employed once again!

Congrats again, and look forward to popping a few champagne corks with you on your return

Lots of love, Alex xxxx

  Alex May 7, 2008 8:12 PM

2

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh wow! congrats you two - like it's the first unit wedding!!!! well done, i'm really happy for you guys xxxx

  Deborah McCrudden May 9, 2008 12:19 AM

3

Someone told me you had updated this news on your facebook page... not being part of the web 2.0 generation, this had obviously passed me by ;-)

Congratulations to you both! Really pleased for you... raise a glass for me!

  Nick Bonney May 14, 2008 5:32 AM

4

Seems like Sarah is the one who could have used the flask, as she was out in the great beyond-civilisation with no one to hear her cries for help, being proposed to by a wild yeti. But her long term memory of normal Phil wins out, and she says yes! Congratulations!

  Kurt Fowler Sep 3, 2008 1:53 AM

About sarahandphil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.