Existing Member?

it's a long way from whitley bay... Hi everyone and welcome to our journal where you can see and read what we've been up to and where we're going next. We hope you enjoy it, and would love you to keep in touch with your news, and send us your comments! Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x ;)

Mumbai

INDIA | Tuesday, 20 November 2007 | Views [791] | Comments [4]

Hi everyone,

We arrived in India on Sunday night – finally touching down at 9pm-ish after three flights, three aeroplane meals, and one power cut at Mumbai airport (‘the back up generators can’t take the burden’ – well not much of a back up then are they?!)

Everything we’d heard about Bombay seems to be true – it is hot, it is noisy, it is crazily busy, and there is a definite hint of Eau de Rubbish Bin in the air. But after 24 hours here, I think it is fair to say that we’re acclimatising. Or at least coping a bit better.

We’ve not really done a lot just yet! – partly as we were shattered after the first two weeks of turbo-tourism, partly because it doesn’t seem that you do ‘Do’ a lot here - you just kind of mooch, and beep your horn a lot (that is if you have one – which we don’t - perhaps an oversight when we were packing!)

So, so far we have managed to book our train tickets to Jaipur (from where we plan to travel to Puskar) – not half as difficult as we were anticipating – with Moscow as the benchmark the Indian experience was positively Zen-like.

Sarah has also found some new trainers to replace the ones she left on the train in Japan – they are covered in Bollywood-inspired bling and should double-up well as emergency landing lights should we encounter another airport blackout!

Thanks again for keeping in touch with all your comments, emails etc. We'll be back in touch soon.

Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x x

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Not sure Sarah should be admitting to all of the things she leaves or loses on this trip or her reputation may get worse! had snow in england this week. Don't forget to take lots and lots of photos of india to pass on your hints and tips please! COME ON ENGLAND!! XX

  anna Nov 21, 2007 12:00 AM

2

Hi Sarah & Phil,
Sounds like you're having a fantastic time, and I'm enjoying reading your updates (as I sit in my dark and chilly office!).
Hope you (and your stomachs) have a fantastic time in India - I'm very jealous - don't forget to send us back lots of lovely goodies!
We miss you lots, xxx
P.S. Has Phil dumped his Primani 'leather' coat yet?!

  Alex Nov 21, 2007 3:22 AM

3

Well done you two for passing on all (?) your news - it's great when we log in and see that you've added something new. Did you find deserving cases to pass your warm clothes on to?
Hoping that you can find a handy place to watch tonight's footy - it promises to be a real nerve-tingler.
Off to the (soggy and cold) allotment now. Stay cool!
Dad XXX

  Dad B Nov 21, 2007 9:10 PM

4

So let's have a full description of the trainers Sarah! Are they wheelies? Do they blink on and off? What did you do with all your designer woollies? Hope you've still got the hats.
We read an article in the Sunday Times which said that the population of Mumbai is 17 million - more than the whole of Australia! It will soon be the largest city in the world. Is mooching possible or do you just get shoved?
Mum xxx

  Mum B Nov 24, 2007 7:05 AM

About sarahandphil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.