Existing Member?

The Tour

Touchdown and the First 72 hours

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 5 May 2009 | Views [271]

24hours since take off from Sydney. One stop over in Hong Kong filled with facemasks. I’ve finally TOUCHDOWN in London, England, what a flight it has been.

Virgin Atlantic flight 201 was summed up in one word llllllllooooooonnnngggggg, the chairs were slightly disappointing in size and comfort, very hard to get any sleep. But the entertainment system made up for that a lot, and the fact a 19-year-old girl from Adelaide sat next to me. It was her first international flight and she was obsessed with Japan, so the lay over in Hong Kong made her sooo excited. We played a lot of in-flight games against each other and when she was watching some Chinese and Japanese movies I was watching mine. I had a pick of over 30 movies, I think I watched four or five. It was amay!!!!                                         Now what about planes infamous meals, I sadly can’t say virgin Atlantic did any thing to dis-spell these rumours. The meals were nothing amazing; they came in little boxes and never seem to fill you up. (maybe cuz I never ate all the veg’s etc) I found I was constantly hungry even though I was doing nothing. I think the highlight was the baby coke cans that were in fact not coke but Virgin coke, to my surprise they tasted exactly the same. (none of this cola tasting ones)  I was left wondering just how virgin stole the recipe from coke??????

TOUCHDOWN, finally got out of that metal box only to wait in a long customs line, got up to the counter and I was through London here I come….

I then took those first few steps through the sliding doors out onto London soil, first thoughts WOW the chill in that breeze is strong and the air was definitely not fresh. I got picked up and taken to my little dodgy motel, London was a lot greener then I thought and a heck of a lot of brick houses. Over the next two days I didn’t venture to far but I did notice a few differences one being they park facing the wrong way, I hate to think how some of them get in the places they are, I felt like running up to them and telling them its illegal and they are going to get fined. Second the doors to the house are tiny, they are made for ppl like me no joke (max just wouldn’t work here)

Feasted on my first London McDonalds, didn’t really have a lot of the stuff we have could only see the big Mac and cheese burger. They had chicken and that burgers but they were all on like turkish bread they took the approach and called them a sandwich burger. Now I’m at macca's I want a burger if I wanted a sandwich I would get one form a sandwich store. (not that they have any of them around) So I settled on a cheeseburger meal for 2pounds stoked I think the best thing is that tomato and BBQ sauce were free nice!

 

About sarah_moulds


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.