Existing Member?

In search of ... "birds flying high you know how I feel, sun in the sky you know how I feel, breeze drifting on by you know how i feel, its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me.....and I'm feelin good ..." just call me Ella!

Whitewater rafting

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 6 February 2008 | Views [507] | Comments [2]

Our first day off(we get one per week) 8 of us decided to go white water rafting which seemed a great idea when we booked it, but a 5am start and still drunk from the night before it wasn't the idea pasttime!

We launched the rafts in the Blyde River, which passes through the Blyde Cannon, the largest Green Cannon in the world, absolutely stunning. After 5 mins tuition, which consisted of 'if you fall in grab the rope' we set off on some gentle paddling. Nice grade 3's to start, a few falls in the water which sobered us up quickly and just a great morning of laughter. The afternoon however....hmmmm slightly more adventorous grade 4's.  I swapped partners with one of the girls as she had a bit of a fright with Craig after falling in  the water so i volunteered to partner him to give her a break. {note on Craig, 19 going on 16 not the most co-ordinated lad}. So off we set again me paddling in front for speed (well kinda) and Craig attempting to paddle for direction from the back of the raft. First grade 4 rapid...woohoo fantastic. Second rapid...erm well I'm thankfull I'm able to write this. We went the wrong side of the river, backwards, hot the biggest rock and capsized, not ususual for this to happen, however I got trapped between the raft and the rock and had my hand caught up in the rope on the side of the raft with my head stuck underneath the water. Struggled to try to get my head up but the water was too powerful and I couldnt get my hand free. It felt like ages and after panicking and thinking that was it I'm gonna die, I eventually just gave up...felt so weird I just relaxed..very strange sensation of peace, next thing I know my hand must have got free as I was hit on the head with a rope and dragged onto another raft...complete with a bare arse!!!! oh the shame!!! my shorts had fallen down with the force of the water.  

Anyway not sure who was more shocked, me or the rest of the group who had been watching and thought a dead body was being dragged out the water. After 20 mins rest I had to get back in the bloody raft with Craig...was pooping my pants to put it politely but it was the the only way out of the Cannon. The last few rapids, Craig fell out so I had my revenge but he was fine, he just floated to the side of the river...jammy sod. Unfortunately one of the group Julie was not so lucky, she fell out and dislocated her shoulder on the last drop so we ended the day with a trip to the hospital afterall.

Memorable day, moral of the story, either don't go white water raftng with a hangover, or avoid prepubscent males as rafting partners.  Oh yeah and wear tight shorts!!!!!!

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

Omg, that sounded scary!! Trust you to be showing your arse to everyone when you're only just getting to know them!!! Maybe you should try and avoid teaming up with Craig in future. Anyway keep enjoying the adventures but BE CAREFUL (I know I'm like Mother Hen, but look after yourself!) Jayne. xx

  Jayne Feb 17, 2008 9:00 AM

2

PSML!!!!!! I went from complete shock thinking how bloody close you were to drowning to LMAO!!! oh the shame, hopefully its tanned a little lol!! I'd say the moral of the story is dont go at all lol

  sandie Feb 17, 2008 9:41 AM

About sarah_freedom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.