Existing Member?

In search of ... "birds flying high you know how I feel, sun in the sky you know how I feel, breeze drifting on by you know how i feel, its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me.....and I'm feelin good ..." just call me Ella!

Bush trials

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 4 February 2008 | Views [649] | Comments [3]

Following my last update it has been eventful to say the least. Firstly we had a few incidents with the trucks, picture the scene; evening drive, very dark, thick bush around us and searching for lions. Out of the long grass came three of them, two females, one male, they surrounded the truck. We were all excited and a little apprehensive...they were v close. They checked us out for a while, then ambled away. So off we set for home, or so we thought! Our very ermm intelligent(?) guide Katie (she is head scientist here) had left the headlights on so we could see the lions...yes she drained the battery. So there we were pitch black, lions very close, and we had to get off and push a 1ton truck through the bush to jump start it. You'll be suprised how quick you can run with pride of Lions at your rear! Back at base we laughed it off thinking that would probably be the danger highlight of the trip.....how naive we were.

The next evening, again with the lovely Katie driving (did i mention how intelligent she is..erm), we got stuck in the river bed!! Again pitch black, surrounded by who knows what - leopards,elephants,rhinolove this area, not to mention the hyena. The wheels spun deeper and deeper as Katie made effort in vain to get us out. So out we jumped, Katie and I on our knees in the water, digging sand from under the wheels in an attempt to put logs underneath. Wet, dirty, being bitten by everything we continued to dig...30mins later Lo (manager) turned up, laughed at our pathetic effort and stated "you cant do it like that girls, you need a man with a truck", (he's only 26 and extremely arrogant, but good looking)..err anyway. 3 broken chains later, a ripped off bull bar and a very angry Lo we were still stuck! After 2 hours we sat making our wills as we listened to the hyena howling around us....eventually we did get out.

As for Katie, well i could go on but put it this way, been stuck in the mud again and punctures are a frequent event...say no more.

Anyway that was a taster of our dangerous events, read on for White water rafting!

Tags: the great outdoors

Comments

1

PSML!!!!!!!! now I know why you didnt make a will before you left...... you were waiting for the right moment lol danager and all its still sounds like a whole lot of fun and you are clearly having a fantastic time sis!! continue on with the fun, love and miss ya lots xxxxxxxxxxxx

  sandie Feb 6, 2008 10:09 PM

2

Sounds like a blast, can’t beat the old adrenalin rush eh Miss Hayes! Don’t the female lions do the hunting? If so talk about bricking it, then again I think any lion would make you crap yourself!

White water rafting is probably tame in comparison but quality all the same, I bet its proper nails in SA! Cape Town might just do the trick for a chill out period. Anyway hope mozzies are being polite and all is good.

  Brummy Jimbo Feb 7, 2008 7:39 AM

3

Hi Sarah, well Katie is probably a typical example of an intelligent person - who obviously has no common sense, usually the way!! Good looking "26" year old male eh - what's with you and men of the age of 26!! lol
Enjoy looking though. Jayne xx

  Jayne Feb 17, 2008 8:53 AM

About sarah_freedom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.