Existing Member?

Around the world in a daze

Europe part 3

ITALY | Monday, 23 November 2009 | Views [466]

After a few days rest and relaxation in Cologne, Louiisa and I headed to Berlin to meet up with Andy and Blake again.


Berlin is an amazing city but it stinks. The name literally means “Swamp City” because that is what it was built on. Every now and then you a rotten egg type smell hits you. This is the swamp odours seeping their way up from under the city. But despite the smell it is a fun and yet confronting place.


There are memeorials and reminders everywhere of the city's past from huge holocaust memorials to the imposing Soviet buildings and remains of the wall. We also took a trip out to the Sachsenhausen former concentration camp, which was a confronting experience, made even more real with the very bad weather. it was hard to imagine how anyone could survive out there in those conditions.

Holocaust memorial

But Berlin was not all doom and gloom. it is a beautiful city and is also well known for its night life. We found an amazing pub, made out of a slum building, which was home to several art studios as well as small bars.


We had a fantastic time in Berlin, the only complaint was the weather – it was so cold. But Andy assured us it was much warmer in Prague where Louisa and I were off to next.


She lied. it actually snowed on our last day in Prague. So much for a last bit of warm weather before the Canadian winter.


Still it was a beautiful city and we had a great time. We did a walking tour and discovered most of Euro Trip was actually filmed in Prague and on our pub crawl we went to the English pub they went to in the movie.


Time went too quickly and before we knew it we were off to Vienna. It is a pretty city but doesn't really have much to offer that other cities don't have. The biggest highlight was finding a bar that served Boags!


Budapest was next and slightly warmer. I really enjoyed our short time here. It is a very different city to most of the others we had been to and is apparently still struggling with the change over from communism to capitalism. But the people were friendly and there were many great sights, not to mention the thermal baths.


We spent our last two weeks in Europe in italy. i wasnt sure how much I would enjoy it because it is talked up so much and I expected to be dissapointed. i wasn't. Every city is beautiful in its own way and has so much to offer. The people went out of their way to help us and the food was amazing.


To be honest I think we spent most of the two weeks eating – gelati, pasta and pesto, pizza and delicious bright green biscuits.

eating buffalo motzarello pizza

It was hard to leave italy especially as it was still fairly warm there. But we knew we had another adventure in Canada where we will be trying to find work and settle down for a few months. The idea of not having to pack every few days is certainly appealing!

About sarah153


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.