Existing Member?

next adventure

Feb. 18-19 KL

MALAYSIA | Monday, 23 February 2015 | Views [229]

Surprisingly, the bus ride from Malacca was about two hours but we ended up at a terminal at the edge of the city instead of downtown. So we had to figure out the light rail into town. Then we were stuck at where to go from the station. Just as someone was telling us to go two more stops, I recognized the area.  After crossing two busy highways and going arund behind buildings, we got to the hotel.

I'm always glad to know new routes into an area so I was pleased to take the light rail.

We toured around the city most of the afternoon. Got back around 4:30 to cool off and then back out. However it was raining so we ended up in Times Square Mall - 10 stories of everything including cinemas on one floor and kids play place over two. 

Next morning, we went to the Lake Gardens to see an orchid and hibiscus garden. However, we ran into two very interesting other things - the National Mosque and the Islamic Arts Museum. 

The Mosque is open to the public for part of the day as part of their outreach program.  They have robes and headscarfs for women to wear and robes for men if they weren't dressed enough. We could look into the main worship area from an area staffed with women who wanted to explain Islam. I think especially when we said US.  The first woman was the equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness or determined Mormon.  Once we escaped from her we talked to a mild young woman, mainly about their dress and practices. 

Then we went to the Arts Museum- mosque architecture, textiles, tiles and ceramics and jewelry. The architecture was mixed with history and the spread of Islam. 

Back down to rail station for lunch where we talked to a Swiss young woman who was spending a year traveling in Asia. 

Then to the Planetarium for a short while but interesting displays. There was an thorough timeline of space exploration among others. Finally to the orchid garden with lots of orchids and the hibiscus garden with mainly bougainvillea strangely. 

Back into the main part of town. {From Joan -It's amazing that Lani finds her way around a poorly laid out city. No straight roads or grid system for them.  She goes in and out of street, alleys and through malls and gets us places.) 

We also had an adventure buying our bus tickets for tomorrow. Last night I discovered that the morning trains were sold out and some of the buses. The bus company we used from Malacca only had afternoon buses so we went to the bus terminal where there are booths for about 30 bus companies. We found one with a 10am departure only to discover than we had 35 RM between us and the ticket was 41 RM. We had 300 RM back in the hotel room 20 min away.  I offered a credit card - no. Then a US 20 - no. We headed for an ATM to find that neither of us were carrying a debit card. Then we saw a money changer so I changed the 20 for 68 RM. And got the tickets. 

Tags: kl sightseeing

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.

About sapote

Follow Me

Where I've been


Photo Galleries

My trip journals

See all my tags 



Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.