Existing Member?

Look at me! I'm SandraD Back Home

HISTORY

ITALY | Monday, 30 October 2006 | Views [833]

Rome is an amazing city – every corner you look around, there is another site to behold, an unbelievable story of conquest, lust and greed. It is an awe inspiring city in terms of history. So it is no surprise that Australians love that aspect. However, it is interesting when you hear Australians say that Australia has no history. I think we have been taught to think of history as monuments, kings, personalities, art – material things left behind as a record of HIS story.

Australia has a very rich history – it is a history steeped in one of the oldest cultures in the world. Aborigines did not need to build monuments to honour their egos – their history was and still is living. It’s in the rocks, mountains and in nature that tell their stories. It’s in an oral history so rich and unique that it has been handed down through generations. Whilst the Roman Empire has long been gone and their relics have survived, Aboriginal culture continues to adapt, grow and flourish albeit it in a country which does not value its own history.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.