Existing Member?

Gundry Adventure

Fairwell South Ameica

CHILE | Friday, 14 March 2008 | Views [571] | Comments [7]

So from San Juan we had the most awesome drive ever.  We journeyed North, then West and finally South (deliberately so that we could drive through this incredible Valley).  The mountains were enormous, some of them snow capped and very dry, shades of grey, green and reds.  The Valley below was lush and green and went on for ever.  Our road ran along this stretch and for hours we saw nobody.  When a car did finally pass everyone waved as if to say, "Hello lonesome traveler".  At one point we stopped the car and Nigel decided he would try and climb one of the mountains.  Half and hour later, he had been out of my sight for a while and I was starting to panic, he popped his head up and waved from about 100 meters up!!!

Our journey ended in Mendoza, a big city famous for it`s vineyards.  It unfortunately took us an hour and a half to find our hostel, as who every build the city ran out of street names and just used the same ones over again.  So our hostel on the corner of 'Juan B Justo' and 'Avenue St Martin' could have been in a number of locations!!  Needless to say, me being to map reader got a fair bit of abuse for the unfathomable system!!

A couple of lazy days were topped off with a brilliant cycling tour of a few vineyards and little artisans out in the countryside.  We were touring with, among others, a group of young English guys from Barnes (!) who, at one of the stops, having devoured a few shots of a special brew Absynth were a bit daft on their clapped out bikes! 

From Mendoza we took the bus over the border to Chile, where we have relaxed in Santiago for a couple of days before our flight tonight.  New Zealand HERE WE COME........!

Comments

1

FAMOUS!

I have just seen you both on the SKY Cricket test coverage. Both looking very well indeed.

For those of you who read this today (22nd March) and are planning to watch the SKY Cricket Highlights show that is replayed 4 times (today) their big close up comes directly after KP hits his only six (this is about 78 mins into the 120 min programme).

Worth a look as it is a close up, Nigel this has nothing to do with your cool unshaven look... more to do of course with your wife before you start getting too cocky ;) !!!!!

  Sam, Anna and Harry Mar 22, 2008 8:30 PM

2

Hi you too!! Not seen your staring roll yet but Sam did very kindly wake me up at 7am to tell me you were on unfortunately byu the timed i'd managed to wake myself up enough to find the remote you'd gone, i'll try and catch the hightlights later. I was just wondering what you moves are in NZ and when and if you'll hit Wellington. Have you worked out where your staying do you fancy stay/cathcing up with Lucy I know she'd love it if you did. She can very quickly go into tour mode and she'd love to take you up Mount Vic na around the bays. Let me know and i'll tee it up for you. Love n hugs missing you! K xx

  Kirsty Mar 23, 2008 2:28 AM

3

Sorry about waking you Kirsty :)

Nigel when you are in Christchuch remember to look up James Sinclair's restaurant.

He would love to say hi !! I sent him a KCC shirt recently so I guess you will spot him :)

  Sam, Anna and Harry Mar 24, 2008 7:09 PM

4

Just checked out Sammo's highlights - below is the link and you guys appear at about the 8:25 mark. Shandies, you are looking a little scruffy - as you know Kiwi's take great pride in their appearance....

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1126121770/bctid1466820089

Enjoy God's Own Country!!!

  Oz Striker Mar 26, 2008 12:10 AM

5

Guys, if you go up Mt Vic in Wellington you may notice a lampost on a lean - that would be coz of me 20 years ago!

  Grant Johnson Mar 26, 2008 12:12 AM

6

The better picture is on 8:46 !!!!!!!!

Great work Grant.

  Sam, Anna and Harry Mar 26, 2008 5:43 AM

7

Whose WAG is wearing the black dress on the 9:32 mark?

  SAM Mar 26, 2008 5:44 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.