Existing Member?

Gundry Adventure

Our first day of Hiking.....

PERU | Monday, 7 January 2008 | Views [594]

Our First Tent!!!

Our First Tent!!!

05:30 start followed by some very plain and boring scrambled eggs made for a rather grumpy Sue.  Never the less we jumped in the mini bus and half an hour later arrived at the check point where you have to produce your passports and get them stamped to allow you to start the Inca Trail.  I had major dilemmas as to what to where and unfortunately was bullied into just wearing my leggings by one of our guides, who thought I would be too hot in my ´planned outfit´ of warm leggings under some very trendy trousers!!!  Great for the pictures!!

The first section of the walk was along the river, following down the valley for around 1 hour prior to our first accent.  A little teaser I think as we got to our first lunch stop and I know one of the group said, ¨this is so easy I´m not going to enjoy it¨ more fool her!!

Lunch was delicious, hot soup, hot trout and rice and vegetables followed by tea and biscuits.  Anyone would think they were trying to keep our energy levels up.

The afternoon began to be challenging as we started to discover that our inexperience and lack of preparation was no good thing.  We had one huge hill which we climbed together and by the top where absolutely exhausted.  The porters (carrying all our bags and camping equipment) ran up the hill however, making us feel like absolute losers.

Our first camp site was incredible.  Nigel and I arrived in about 8th place (out of 12) and were greeted with a warm round of applause!! Very heart warming when stuck in the middle of nowhere, up a mountain with no where to go but up or back the way you came, which nearly killed you.  Within a few minutes however we were totally over taken by the view and the amazing location that it seemed to make it all worth while.

Setting up the tent was fun, well putting our stuff in the tent that had been put up for us, and I developed a very strict washing regime for us both!! to ensure, despite the freezing water, neither of us got into our double sleeping bag stinking!!!

A pretty good meal and a little yoga later and we got into bed at 20:30 absolutely knackered.

Tags: mountains

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.