Existing Member?

Painting With Light i used to be inspired by stories till I realized a storyteller made them so. Then I began to be inspired by storytellers.

Catching a Moment - On Table Mountain.

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [307] | Scholarship Entry

Once upon another time, my mother and I were traveling in Cape Town. She had a conference, and I was there to make sure she did more than discover the hotel's multiple plug points for her laptop.
We took the cable car up Table Mountain. Discovering its breath-taking views, and its venturesome terrain, we decided to walk down the mountain.
So began one of the best adventures of our lives.
We had covered quite a bit of ground, when my mother hurt her leg. If we were to head back up, the steep architecture would make for a climb and we would arrive late for the last cable car. We decided to continue down the mountain.
Gravity was being a difficult friend, and our progress became slower and slower.
Enter the beautiful Fleur. Between a shoulder each, she and I carried my mother. Fleur asked two people behind us to help. And so Javed and Artur joined our little group. With each passing moment, the light fell to dusk and we realized we were the last 5 people on the mountain.
It was a great group of people, and what a way to meet! On the side of a mountain in South Africa! We spoke about Lars Von Trier's films, sci-fi, bungee-jumping, and if we would ever make it that party in the evening. Fleur voiced: Javed, from Pakistan and I being from India-how come we weren't fighting with each other and generally being violent and averse to the other.
Javed and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. The world is connected; through globalization, or even through Facebook. We are all human beings. And a geographical or political border can't define our relationships.

Car-lights flashed. Pinpricks of light that showed how far we had yet to go. The horizon merged with the land into absolute darkness.
It happened slowly at first. Then quickly.
The five of us fell silent in the face of the countless lights that came on and masked the city's landscape.
From our birds-eye-view, it was simply magical.
It was the moment when Cape Town was awake! And alive with light!

To know such beauty, was an adventure.

A Rescue Team found us when we were 10 minutes from the bottom. Exhilarated, but now suddenly exhausted, we welcomed them. They were curiously surprised to find us alive. Apparently the animals leave you alone, but there are robbers on the mountain that have other ideas. If we had called them from high up in the mountain, they would have sent a helicopter for us. Exhaustion seemed to disappear, and Javed and I shouted at once, "Lets go back up. Free helicopter ride!"

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About samwise


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.