Existing Member?

RuralTanzania

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 17 March 2011 | Views [134] | Scholarship Entry

at a whim we decided to travel to mbeya, south of tanzania. there isnt much about mbeya on the internet and other information is hard to come by. so we took the slow train, giving us time to think and strategize the 4 days we would be there. at the station, we looked foreign and someone offered accommodation advise, which we took without hesitation, knowing full well that if we didnt like it, we could always ask around. settled, we walked around to familiarize ourselves, and asked as many people about places to visit. bridge of the gods was mentioned a few many times and that is where we headed the next day. information is very vague, and we were going with instincts right about from the time we got onto a bus that would take us to kk, a smaller township in the outskirts of mbeya. the bridge we were told was an 8 kilometer walk. a man said he had a car he hires, and we went along with that, a flat tire meant we needed to walk the remaining 6 kilometers, thru farmland and winding roads, we reached and were welcomed with fruit heavy guava trees at the bank of the river that carved through a rock to make a bridge. our hired car driver; Crazy, fixed the puncture and followed us to the bridge and we then came back with the car. in the evening, despite exhaustion of city limbs, we walked to the centre of town in search for food and drink, traveling at a whim maybe fun, but it has its consequences. the last day we trekked to the foot of the utengule mountains, the weather was good in April, the rain was a sight for sore eyes for us boys from the city where it hardly rained. finally we took the bus back to dar, and that was the last big adventurous trip i have been on since then.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About samirius


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.