Existing Member?

sam&jess

Into the Desert

INDIA | Monday, 27 November 2006 | Views [367]

A single train journey in this country can take you from one extreme to another. We have left the mountains and via Delhi have spent the last few days in the capital of Rajasthan- Jaipur. It is a busy city and the rickshaw journeys here are as whiteknuckle as any rollercoaster I've been on. A really nice city though and it is refreshing to finally get the baking sun that I need! The stay was made all the nicer by the hotel we found being possibly one of the best budget hotels in the world. Although we splashed out slightly with this one @ 500Rupees a night per room (about 5 quid) it was worth it for the amazing roof terrece were we could chill, look at the views, take in the sun and run up a big tab on the bar and quality food. The room was nice as well and were tempted to stay longer but there is plenty places to see, plenty we cant see and we have a date in goa in a few weeks.

On the subject of places we have reluctantly decided to miss out on. One will come as a massive surprise to all....... The Taj Mahal. Now before I get slaughtered for not going we had a number of reasons and yes, I am aware that the one of the first questions I will be asked about India is, what was the taj mahal like? BUT we went to book the train to go on the Friday and found out it is closed on a Friday and we didn’t want another day in Delhi. Also I have read and heard many things about Agra and they are mainly bad and I was not to keen on putting myself through all the hassle. We also met other people in the train station who were off to Jaipur so we decided to get that train there instead and I think it was the right choice. After all, everyone knows I have never been much of a sucker for historical stuff.

As for Jaipur there was plenty to see and do here, millions of bazaars, monkey temple, fort, weird old school astrology centre and just generally wandering about the old (pink) city. The food was a constant hit here as well so filled up and ready to move on. Next is Jodphur (the blue city) and heard good things about this place also. Is generally pretty relaxed around rajasthan and just so different. Enjoying every minute and have yet to feel a twinge of boredom which I am happily surprised about. Even now we were a bit annoyed to find our train delayed by 3 hours but we are lucky enough to be at a station with an internet café and gives me a chance to give an update on the trip.

Speak to y’all later.

Plus. To all Man Utd, Rangers, Hearts fans etc. I can still rip to shreds your teams so called ability from thousands of miles away, I just wish I could speak to you all personally so you could apologize for not realizing earlier the mighty Celtics potential. Hail Hail

 

Tags: On the Road

About sambarton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.