Existing Member?

sam&jess

INDIA- Part 1

INDIA | Monday, 20 November 2006 | Views [336] | Comments [1]

Arriving in India was always going to be a full on experience that I doubt I will ever forget. Not only is is the first point of call on the world tour, my first backpacking adventure, but also it is a place of opposites compared to bonnie scotland. having said that it was a relief to finally arrive after all the build up and the sense of not knowing what to expect from India and imparticular- Delhi.

Was still pretty relaxed after a comfortable and uneventful journey and happy to feel the sun on my back since coming from dreich weather back home. Got an old school cab into town and yes it is a very very poor country. Some interesting, if slightly depressing sights on the way into the city and the traffic is crazy. The place we were staying was pretty decent and right on the main bazaar near the train station. The main street is quite something and preety hard to describe but will give it a go. The street is 12 feet wide at most with thousands of people, cycle-rickshaws, auto-rickshaws, cars, motorbikes, cows and even elephants. It is not a place to window shop as you are constantly dodging vehicles, beggers and folk trying every which way to get our money. This is I suppose whhat I exzpected from delhi and was a relief in some ways when we left the city a couple of days ago to head towards the himalayas.

We got the train six hours north to the foothils of the mountains and a place caled Kalka to change onto a 'toytrain' that rises 2000metres and passes through over 100 tunnels (god knows how they built it) but was an amazing journey to a town called Shimla. Built by the Brittish to avoid the summer heat of delhi it is a nice place in a wonderful setting and a refreshing experience after delhi. The main streets ban vehicles meaning you can hang out and enjoy the food and drink and the shops without getting runover. Our hotel looks out over the himalayas and the only drawback being it is very cold. This is all that is stopping us heading further into the mountains because it looks fantastic but we certainly dont have the appropriate gear. The plan is to stay here for another couple of days (I have digital tv and Celtic V Man Useless is tomorrow and I have to get my priorities right).

I also want to stress how amazing the food is here and there is so much new things for me to try. While on the trains everytime you stop there is guys coming on with freshly made samosas, meals, fresh friut and all sorts to help the journey pass ( and there will be many of those over the next few months). I have also tried a few of the local beers and spirits with differing quality (stay away from the sand piper beer i reccomend).

But over all a happy and exciting start to my trip and cant wait for the next instalment. Sam

Tags: Mountains

Comments

1

Well, well ...who wouldve thought!? You must be missing the Tennents!

anyway Nice one....it sounds like an amazing journey. it will be interesting to see some of the pictures when you get them up.

take care and have fun

  MURRAY Nov 24, 2006 11:02 AM

About sambarton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.