Existing Member?

My Adventure Around the World

Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Phi Phi and Phuket

THAILAND | Thursday, 28 May 2009 | Views [472] | Comments [1]

Hello (finally!)

Not even in Asia anymore now, sitting in an internet cafe in Auckland, but that story is for another time.....


So, 30/4

Got up today, had the last included breakfast, who knows when we will next get that.  It's been so much easier not having to get up and go and find somewhere for breakfast.  Cleared the bathroom of all the goodies I could get my hands on, soap and loo roll!  When on a budget lots of places don't come with these things!  Got to the pier and got a boat to Ko Pha Ngan, some nice little islands along the way.  Arrived and did the usual walk around to find somewhere to stay.  We are on a beach far away from all the full moon stuff and it's a lot nicer here.  After a treat in Ko Samui it is back to the basics, only a fan room with nothing else to shout about, apart from a cupboard but we don't need one so no need to shout about it!

1/5

Today had breakfast at a nice place run by a really friendly family.  Good food and service so we ate there for rest of the day.  It was the first day for ages that I actually ate 3 meals and for one of them I was really hungry- had forgotten what that feels like!  I managed 5 hours on the beach, a record for me as I took everything I had to keep me amused.  Climbed around the rocks in the morning and saw some crabs.  Some so black that they looked like spiders- ew!  Lots of fish in the shallows which was cool.

2/5

Hired a jeep this morning.  Bit of a dodge one.  The gears were not good and the hand brake didn't fully work!  Not surprising that with all that and the non quality of the roads, not to mention the hills that I didn't like it.  It got better when the roads were concrete and flat.  Rode an elephant again as Ell's sister hadn't done it before.  The first ride in Ko Chang was way better than this one.  Although this time, I got picked up by an elephant by it's trunk- it was so awesome!!  You realise how strong their trunks are when they lift you above their heads, and it was only a smaller one.

3/5

Today we moved to a nice hotel for a bargain price.  Free internet so I updated my blog (shows how long ago that was!)  For dinner we decided to be really lazy and order room service.  They didn't answer the phone though so we had to go and order at the restaurant and then waited in the room.  Was nice to eat in the room and not have to get dressed to go out- dinner in pjs oh yeah!

4/5

Sorted out the ferry for tomorrow as we have booked a flight for 40 quid to save a day of travelling and more importantly for me, 4 hours on a boat!  Walked back to the hotel along the beach but that meant having to climb the stairs up, not fun at all let me tell you!  Chatted to Mum and Dad and Katharine on facebook for ages which was cool, just a shame I accummulated a ton more bites!


5/5

Today we got the 9.30am ferry from Ko Pha Ngan to Ko Samui and then the 12.05 flight to Krabi.  Got a taxi to Krabi town and realised that there was nothing there so we decided to go to Phi Phi straight away.  Arrived after a bit of a choppy ride and then found a really nice place to stay right on a really good bit of beach.  A really good view from there.  Had a really nice dinner on the beach and treated myself to a jelly sundae for pudding, so worth it!  Got a TV with a better selection of channels so fingers crossed for the Champs semi later.....

6/5

Set the alarm for 1.30am and it paid off, got to watch the footie and they won.  So tv off at 3.40am meant a later start.  Hit the beach for a bit and then walked into town.  Had to walk through the jungle to get there!  Saw one of the beaches affected by the tsumani and the now evacuation route signs.  It was strange to stand there and imagine what happened there.

7/5

Went to the beach where they filmed The Beach, very cool and good views.  No pictures though as I forgot to take a memory card with me!  There was a crew setting up to film some kind of Bollywood thing.  Went snokelling  and saw lots of fish in really nice water.  The driver was throwing bread out to bringthem up to the surface, very cool until there was a feeding frenzy right next to me!  Went to the village for dinner and had to trek back through the jungle in the dark on the way back- thank god I remembered my head torch!


8/5

Went scuba diving this afternoon, spent the whole morning really nervous about it as we had to do skills underwater this time.  Silly really as I am a good swimmer and fine in underwater.  I was relaxed about it all once the skills were over.  Got the dvd of it so you can see how nervous I was.  Saw lots of Nemo's and other colourful fish.  Managed to see a turtle from the boat.  Walked across the "Beach" Island and this time the tide was out making it look completely different.

9/5

Chilled out for the day, only managed 40 mins on the beach before being bored senseless so I went back to the room and had a nice sleep and read my book.  Went out in town again and wasn't really up for it so left the others too it and went back (through the jungle alone).  Perhaps not the best idea I've had but it was fine.

10/5

Left the nice beaches of Phi Phi and got the boat to Phuket (one and a half hours).  Got a taxi from the dock and said good-bye to Laura and Charlie as they were going to Bangkok to catch their flight home.  Had a walk around Phuket and then headed to the hostel and watched tv.  Saw the F1 and the last 10mins of the Manchester derby.  Decided to shower and hair wash before bed as we had the earliest start so far, 4.30am tomorrow to catch our flight to Malaysia.

So that is it for Thailand, spent the longest time here so far.  It's been good especially the elephant riding and picking up which I will never forget!


Take care

xx

Comments

1

Walking through the jungle to get to the shops sounds a bit bizzare. Being 'picked up' by the elephant sounds fab - I bet you squeeled!!

  Katie Lee Jun 17, 2009 6:46 PM

About sam_jackson86


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.