Existing Member?

Tanoh Rencong squall welcomed the cannon booms Demand of peace welcomed military incursion Fetus in your womb pounced by Bayonet You’re being chased, tortured, punished and decapitated Disappeared without a trace All the screams of your conscience

My Scholarship entry - Giving Back on the Road

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [202] | Scholarship Entry

Tanoh Rencong by Safril

A historic place changed my live which's called Aceh and familiarly called Tanoh Rencong.  It's a province of Indonesia that was located in a tip province in Sumatra Island. Since the reign of Sultan Iskandar Muda, Tanoh Rencong became a famous land with power and gloriousness. It  has rich custom and culture. Rencong was a traditional weapon that symbolized the strength and simplicity.

I was born in lovely TANOH RENCONG

A place which has never felt the freedom and long time in conflict situation, took the attractive world. Tanoh Lon Sayang (my lovely homeland) has been in conflict for more than 20 years. Separates tried to liberate them from Indonesia. Some violence cases recorded during the conflict era :  rape, sexual harassment, arrested, victim of military seduction.

The simple question comes from me,

Where was Human Right?

What was the role of the biggest Human Organization?

Wasn’t Tanoh Rencong a part of this world?

And I have been growing Tanoh Rencong.

The roar of bullets as has become a familiar chant, booming sound was not shocked us anymore. Pupils who did not attend school were a very common sight, it is not caused by their slothfulness, the circumstance forced them to be a bad generation. The school building was burned, the teachers were terrorized. Girls and women have been attacked, raped and plundered by men when Aceh was designated as a military operation. Hundreds of women experience another kind of torture as well: sexual torture inflicted, indeed considered standard procedure by military personnel. This adds to the exercise of power when sexual passion, because the person who was tortured were being violated at deeper level. This means to send a message to people at their most intimate level. The sexuality of violence was a form of terrorism and a form of instilling a kind of instability. These issues of the domination of women, both of the military and patriarchal culture of the society of those women who were being raped doubly dominated. It was coincidence domination that needs to be recognized. It made women vulnerable.

Hundreds girls birthed the lovely babies, unknown their fathers. They looked like bitches, but they were holy girls who had been raped. And they faced two incredible choices : Live or hot lead.
Citizens started finding out whose burned houses they would repeat recitation of the confession of faith (Tahlilan). Maybe their husband, father, mother or relatives who died. The night came, each mother embrace hugged their sons and her husband tried to reassure his lovely wife and children while asking to his heart “were the next casualty to the following day ..?? Uncountable despotism occurred in Tanoh rencong, Even had been buried odorless and formed in this incredible situation, Thousand wives mourned their fate and the boys screamed of her husband. The powerless parent cared their children, but,it's useless and the children were killed.
Squall welcomed the cannon booms, demand of peace welcomed military incursion, fetus in your womb pounced by bayonet, you’re being chased, tortured, punished and decapitated
Disappeared without a trace. All the screams of your conscience
But believe it, your conscience cries will never go away. Tonight, a woman raped in her house and the last night and the next in dark nights or her husband were imprisoned and shot. Yesterday a woman has been found dead. Both of breasts were truncated and her lovely hero has been a corpse.

Completely afflictions have felt, Tsunami occurred in 2004 and thousand people of Aceh became victim. The result of those conditions revealed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in 2005. I realize that all problem are process, various afflictions have been passed and made me stronger.

Now, I am still living here.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About safrilaceh


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.