Existing Member?

Mishna 'Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves' Henry David Thoreau

West side!! - Perth

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 1 March 2008 | Views [842]

We flew into Perth knowing that every hostel in the city was booked up, we just thought that if all else failed we'd sleep at the airport. We flew from Hobart to Perth via Melbourne and Adelaide (I'm really glad we didn't stop there longer than an hour as there really wasn't much to see). Suprisingly when we arrived in Perth we managed to find a hostel with spare beds (we should have wondered why!) - the place was an absolute dump so we left and after begging Scarborough YHA to take us in we were a bit happier.

Scarborough was nice enough but no way as fantastically tacky as Scarborough at home!! We stayed at the YHA until we were able to move into a hostel in the city, it was nice enough but a little boring, except for the night our roomate threatened to knife someone....always fun... 

We moved into Bambu, a somewhat trendy hostel in Northbridge. Northbridge itself is a slightly dodgy area but the location is great for all the bars nearby having free bbqs! There is one everyday of the week and you get a free drink! what more could a poor backpacker want?

My favourite bar (not that I probably realised it at the time) was the Shed, conveniently nextdoor to our hostel. You could hear the music through the wall of our room and it always made me want to go for a drink. On Sundays the place is packed with the local Irish who are all legless by noon....fantastic!

We stayed at Bambu for just over a month, and it has to be one of the friendliest hostels I've stayed in! They have a bar area with BYO and a DJ on weekends, it's really well designed. Typically while we were there, we befriended a group of English lads (as you do) who were always up for a laugh!

Perth is nice but I preferred Fremantle as a place to visit and actually worked there for a few weeks at a bank who's manager randomly used to be an actor! On one of those day I was lucky enough to see the QE2 dock on her final voyage.

Western Australia is such a massive state so we decided to take a road trip to Broome....probably not the best idea we had!

Tags: accommodation, drink, work

About ruudee81


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.