Existing Member?

Mishna 'Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves' Henry David Thoreau

Tasmanian Devils are really bad at crossing the road :o(

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 23 February 2008 | Views [633] | Comments [1]

Huge apologies for not keeping up with my updates!! I've managed to borrow a laptop (thanks Sophia) so I can do a bit of a catchup!

After leaving Melbourne we headed for Tasmania which kind of resembled home, which made a nice change!

Hobart - After an hours flight we arrived in Hobart, it's nice here but there really isn't a lot to it. It is very small!!!!! We stayed at the Pickled Frog hostel which once upon a time had been a british pub, unfortunately the bar was missing now! The best part of Hobart was meeting up with friends of a friend, we met them at a bar in town and without wearing flowers in order to be recognsed, it took us a while to find each other!!

Dover - Complete with hangovers (thanks guys!) we drove to Dover and found a fantastic hostel in the woods. It's eco friendly and you get to stay in log cabins. The weirdest part of my time there was getting pooed on by an owl in the ladies bathroom!! I really had wondered what had been staring at me while I'd been getting my shower!!

Richmond - On the way to Richmond we stopped at Hastings Caves which were an amazing sight. We took the tour for only $25 (worth the money compared to some of the other attractions) and our guide was so passionate about the caves and their lighting! Short on options for accommodation we ended up staying in a cabin park which was actually a bit of a treat for a change!

Eagle Hawk Neck - We continued north towards Port Arthur and stopped at a Tasmanian Devil sanctuary, the only devils we'd seen prior to this had unfortunately been dead on the road (they have very interesting road kills here). Our hostel tonight was incredibly random and eco friendly!!! they even had a worm toilet and all the water they used was rain water. Outside our window were parrots and wallabies roaming, a really nice place with slightly crazy owners.

Swansea - Before heading to Swansea we stopped at Port Arthur - an amazingly pretty prison from back in the day. It was really interesting to walk round the grounds and we also got a walking tour and a boat ride round "the island of the dead". It was pissing it down by the time we got to Swansea and we ended up in another cabin park, this one a bit posher! It was nice to have a room to myself for the first time in months!!!

Bicheno - Another day of rain (which was good as Tasmania seemed to have been suffering from a drought) we checked into a cool wooden hostel and headed for the local pub. As per usual we were the only females and the only people drinking pints! We had an interesting offer of going to some guys house where they were going to play guitar, we declined, nice people but a tiny bit hickish!!

St Helens - Here was nice but there wasn't a huge lot to do, due to the rain we were unable to see wine glass bay but we did get to go to "the pub in the paddock" for lunch where they apparently have a beer drinking pig!!! fantastic!

Launceston - We timed our trip to Launceston with the food and wine festivale, so our first day here was spent relaxing in the park listening to bands, drinking food and wondering what we were going to eat next! we even got our picture in the local paper! The next day we met up with more friends of a friend who were fantastic and really took good care of us (thanks for the recommendation kelsey!!) we ended up stopping with them for a couple of nights and were treated to a massive room each with double beds (a treat believe me!). The took us to Cradle mountain, gave us beer and had a bbchu (bbq) for us, thanks guys!!! a great ending to a nice trip!

Next stop......Perth!!

Tags: on the road

Comments

1

Thanks for the details of your touring. There is a limit to how much you can tell me when on the phone! Try to keep us up-to-date if you can. Love, Mumsy xxxxxxxxxxx

  Mrs. K. Dalby Mar 11, 2008 7:49 AM

About ruudee81


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.