Existing Member?

Russ & Tash's travels

Ko Chang to Sihanoukville via Koh Kong

CAMBODIA | Friday, 17 January 2014 | Views [333] | Comments [1]

Unfortunately our time in Ko Chang was somewhat limited due to Russ needing to be close to a toilet at all times. On our final day we thought we would be more adventurous and go snorkelling off a rocky and secluded bay. This consisted of Tash jumping in the water, screaming she had been stung repeatedly, and unceremoniously dragged out of the water over some barnacles...we are still slowly removing the splinters from hands and feet!

Leaving Ko Chang was sad but not nearly as sad as negotiating the Thai / Cambodian border or arriving at our dismal, dirty acoomodation in Koh Kong. Our lonely planet guide informed us that Koh Kong used to be a haven for drug smuggling, prositution and gambling but now bills itself as the gateway to eco tourism. To be fair to the place the people were welcoming and all the children wanted to say hello to us.

We resisted an extremely strong urge to run screaming to our next destination and instead booked onto a jungle trek to one of the waterfalls. We thought the trek would be a good warm for more difficult hikes booked in Borneo for march; unfortunately we were set tl fail again.

After a bumpy boat ride (sans vomit from Tash - thanks for the seasickness band idea Deb) and a couple of hours demanding hike through the jungle we reached the waterfall which was beautiful. Ever curious, Russ decided to inspect the waterfall closer and proceeded to stack it on some wet rocks disappearing out of view. Upon standing up he assured us all he was 'just' fine whilst displaying a hand with  ring finger at a disturbingly strange angle and remarking 'I think it's broken'. No sooner had a reached Tash with said dodgy finger, Tash started feeling a little bit light headed and proceeded to faint in sympathy. You can just imagine how impressed our tour group was! Anyway to cut a long story short Russ's finger is very swollen but ok (dislocation only) and we took it was a sign to get the hell out of Koh Kong a day early!

 Leaving Koh Kong swiftly by coach, we arrived in Sihanoukville four hours later booking ourselves into probably the nicest hotel we have stayed at this whole trip with actual hot water, aircon, a pool, and most importantly clean sheets and a flushing toilet! We write this as sit by the pool drinking beer, licking our wounds and with plans for mojitos this evening and exploration of the town and beach tomorrow.

Comments

1

Sounds like, um, fun? hope Sihanoukville goes better for you.

  Jason Jan 19, 2014 11:05 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.