Existing Member?

Chronicle's of an Adventurer Tick Tock it is Time to stop the Clock and live life to the end. Don't let time pass just thinking about your wishes. Make them come true sooner or later!

Islands of Thailand

THAILAND | Tuesday, 4 December 2007 | Views [645]

No I didn't make it to Krabi and Phuket because I decided to join Kelly in the southern islands of Thailand...closer to Malaysia. If I did not meet her then I would most probably never her see her again.

I'm on Ko Lanta thinking she is here. Well, no Kelly, apparently, she made a move to a small island 6 hours from where she used to be.

O.K. so I decide to stay in Lanta and take another cooking class to destress after a long night with a mosquito that bit my face off. I woke up with my left eye completely swollen shut and lack of sleep. I now realize it was probably not a mosquito but a bite from a huge ant. In case you don't know me. I am useless without a good's night sleep. Grouchy, Cranky and Zombie are used to describe me. Also, I got shocked repeatedly by biting shrimp in the Lanta water. I wasn't even able to go in the water bc I would come out so itchy and red. Thank goodness, for Thai cooking to keep me happy. I gave Lanta a second chance also by walking around the village and checking into a resort with a swimming pool, air conditioning, and no creatures to keep me up. Oh, and I forgot to mention, a daytrip to Ko Phi Phi....for snorkeling. You know, were the movie- Beaches was filmed.

The next day I made a move on a ferry on the Andaman Sea. It was raining but I didn't care...the wind and the sea were spectacular. My rainjacket soaked but my spirit alive.

I see Ko Lipe doesn't look all that but my opinions would change as I stay. From the ferry I transfer to a long boat with a tail that takes me to shore just like the pirates. On these islands, there really are retired pirates who live.

I'm walking on the shore all I have to go with is an email from Kelly saying, " Rip, I'm staying on the left of the volleyball nets." O.k. I see several volleyball nets on my left. I'm not even sure if this is the correct beach. I go hut by hut and finally find K. Chew's name in a log book. Excited, I leave a note on her hut and store my things at the front. I now go to search the island to find my friend. As I walk for less than 3 minutes, I look to my right and I see Chew in a coffee shop, not so surprising, looking so relaxed and at home. She looked like a local. She was friends with Vincent who worked at the shop. They scream my name. I look up surprised and happy. Yeah, my travel partner and my friend since grade school were united again.

Kelly was so popular on the island. Everyone knew her and somehow they knew me too bc they would say, "YOu must be Ripal..Glad to see you made it to Lipe" Apparently, Kelly, had anxiety and thought I had gone missing. She asked everyone and their mother if they had seen me for the past 3 days and to keep and eye out for a little indian with a funny walk and big yellow pack.

Snorkeling...my new favorite hobby. I've been 3 times since on the island. Beautiful coral, pretty cool fish, and baracudas. The water is light green and transparent. I can see my entire body. The beach is smooth and not rocky. I found the other side. It is my side. Opposite Patanga Beach. Less people and far more beautiful in my eyes than any other spot on the island. This is were my vacation begins. Everything else was an Excursion and Adventure. This is pure relaxation...no treks, no early mornings, no trains,planes, or buses to catch, and no planning for the days ahead. I am a water baby who is learning how to swim better. I still need a life jacket to snorkel but it is more like a security blanket now. Makes me feel better knowing I won't ever sink and prick myself on those urchin things.

We met a californian who has gone Native on Lipe. One of the few Americans we have met. His hair is to his shoulders....Notted and messy. He doesn't were shoes anywhere. He camps, crashes and lives on the beach. He bathes in the sea. He hasn't shaved for days maybe even weeks. His name is Adam. I thought he was italian at first but he is clearly an American living over seas. I'm impressed by his one with nature and his lack of need for a comb, flip flops, and a bed. It is voluntary....a challenge. I don't think I would do this for fear of scabies, bed bugs, parasites, and ringworm infection. I worked in a school in Newark for 3 years...that was enough for exposure! I do think it amazing that someone else can do this. Kudos to Adam Goldberg!

Tags: relaxation

About rprip


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.