Existing Member?

Roy and Ania One year to womble about in the world

36 hours of California

USA | Friday, 11 December 2009 | Views [323]

Already on the plane I was exited to have a food experience different from the standard food experience I use to have in Argentina. The breakfast wrap I got had flavour in itself and it was served with a spicy salsa – spiciness does not exist in Argentina really.

We arrived to the LA airport and I immediately remembered: everything is big in USA.

Our hostel for one night is located right near the sea in Venice Beach, Santa Monica, one of the suburbs to Los Angeles. One of the first few things that strikes us are the amount of skateboarders and homeless people, and how cold it is. I mean, it is nothing compared to Swedish winter of course, but we just came form a hot Buenos Aires summer and all of sudden we had to dig out the warm clothes form our rucksacks.

Along the beach there is a promenade with shops, street artists selling their work, the smell of joints, musicians jamming and people performing all kinds of things. Parallel to this are all the fitness people, cycling, jogging etc. and it became so clear that there is a very strong culture here of paying a lot of attention to body and looks. The beach promenade led us into Santa Monica, and its town centre which is all covered with Christmas decorations and cheesy American Christmas music. I found that so bizarre, one minute we are at the beach where people are playing volleyball and surfing, and the next we are in the middle of a Christmas shopping rush with female Santa's in hight heel boots and short seductive red skirts and deep necklines and huge cleavages...Confused by the changes of worlds and by this stage quite affected by the jet-lag, we sat down in a restaurant and ordered a meal, the portions being so huge that they where enough to share between two.

Before we left Buenos Aires, Roy dropped out only working camera on the concrete floor (I broke the other one by having it out in the rain in Patagonia), and we here without camera. In order to be able to continue documenting our trip we now have bought a new one since electronics are cheaper here in the states.

Then we could not keep awake any longer and went to bed way too early (about 7.30 pm) and slept for 12 hour. Now we are on the way to check out from room (struggling with getting out bags closed, again) and depending another few hours by the beach, maybe renting bikes and go on an adventure in the surrounding, and then we are off to the airport for another night on the uncomfortable economy class chairs. But when we wake up we will be in The Cook Islands, and there will be summer again!


Love

ania

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.