Existing Member?

The Callinan Adventure Trail Journeys and Adventures in Canada and Abroad

Whistler Wonderland

CANADA | Wednesday, 28 March 2007 | Views [907] | Comments [2]

Aidan and I have been quite spoilt for a few days, while Hugh was visiting. Our usual daily routine generally involves several phone calls back and forth asking the question what is or what do you want for dinner?  Our lack of imagination and willingness to go shopping every couple of days is compounded by our total lack of foresight when it comes to preparing dinners.  Most meals end with regrets, a bigger blow to the budget than we are willing to admit and promises to go to the gym or start the diet tomorrow.  A few weeks ago we had a breakthrough with the coming of my friend Hugh.  I had long heard of the Granville Markets and have even seen it on maps but I was unwilling to venture into uncharted territory without a wingman to back me up.  Luckily one was on hand – after navigating our way down under the bridge to the ‘island’ we found a cluster of shed like buildings brimming with arts, crafts, foods.  Everything looked delicious, we picked up some fantastic ingredients and Hugh made each of them into wonderful dinners.

We went to Whistler that weekend again  - I know you must be sick of hearing it but we had a great time.  The weather was just terrible though it’s close to the worst conditions I’ve ever been in.  When arriving at the top of one of the chair lifts, you are forced to navigate your way across a narrow ridge to avoid some jutting rocks before pointing your board downhill, usually not even a major. But this day when you got to the top the more than 40 knot winds and blinding snow made it difficult just to stand upright let alone see you hand in front of your face. A slight problem when you knew you were on a near precipice with a giant drop somewhere to your right.  One time Aidan and I tried taking off our boards and carrying them across this pass but it was even more treacherous and you felt the board was just going to fly out of your hand, also the added wind resistance made me go backwards rather than forwards, I abandoned that method quick smart. I found myself in situations I would imagine a less courageous person would have simply broke down and cried in.  At one point, had I not navigated my way down this slope a couple of times in the past, I might have truly panicked, I was way off course, knowing no one would be coming my way, out of sight of everyone and a little confused as to which way was which, I couldn’t see the ground, couldn’t get moving on my board and in thigh deep snow.  I think it took more than 20mins to get moving again and find the guys. This happened more than once, to Aidan too.  You might wonder why we kept catching this perilous chair lift again and again but after that initial nightmare at the top, there was the most amazing ride down, beautiful uncharted powder snow all the way to the bottom. By the time you got to the bottom you forgot how horrible the top part was.  Soo much fun!!!!!  There are a few new photos of our trip.

Unfortunately as luck would have it we had to have major repairs done on the car, damned second hand cars, if only we had taken it to be serviced when we first got it we might not have been in this situation.  We had to spend $1400 on new brakes, replacing a broken cable (yeah that sounds great) new something else that was broken and leaking all over the rear brakes, heaps of stuff.  So we had to lay off whistler for a while. Good news though they had a biggest snowfall yet the last week woohoo : ( oh well.

Aidan and I are heading to Las Vegas in April for a Radiology conference, we are both very excited hopefully one of us will get beginners luck.  Anyway that’s all for now, hope everyone is well. We love hearing from you all. 

Take care.

Tags: Snow

Comments

1

You lucky buggers !! keep up the videos, it's great to actually see what our nomads get up to.

  kipnomad Mar 28, 2007 1:39 PM

2

Hey guys, I finally got my head above water and (on Good Friday, very quiet here, raining on and off) the time to check out your site. Amazing; Rosie, you are brilliant! Is that really you two, or at least one of you, in the ski video? I'm serious; somehow I thought you'd both still be inching along and falling over more than standing up.

Looking forward to your post from some gilded palace of sin in Las Vegas. I'll send a regular email separately with some general news from here.

Love

Richard/Dad

  Richard/Dad Apr 6, 2007 5:25 PM

About rosiecallinan

Times Square Moments after the New Year

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.