Existing Member?

The Callinan Adventure Trail Journeys and Adventures in Canada and Abroad

myth bustin the big apple

CANADA | Sunday, 7 January 2007 | Views [787] | Comments [3]

view from our apartment

view from our apartment

So our time is up in the big apple for now but we have lots of awesome memories and while we didn't get to do everything on our very optimistic itinerary, we did see and do a lot of things.  For the most part we found New York was just incredible. It was pretty clean, we didn't even see any cochroaches but that may be mostly due to the fact that we changed hotels a week befor we left, phew that was lucky.  The hotel we stayed was pretty nice, and spacious, the people not that friendly or helpful but for the most part new yorkers were just kinda like that.  We did see some very small rats (or mice really in my opinion) on the subway but other than that better than expected.  Also it was really safe, the security could really interfere with your plans and these guys take their jobs really seriously but it did make you feel quite comfortable walking around the streets of new york.

We did catch the city having a little nap from time to time - I mean sure it was after the new year and most people should've been in bed at 3am but we found it hard to find a place to eat and not many people about.  The food was pretty good, in fact Aidan found what he claims to be a burger that ranks in his top 10 no 8 burgers of all times. When pushed though he couldn't tell me what other burgers were in contention for this most coverted title of worlds best burger, I did agree it was an awesome feed.  If the grease dripping down to my elbow was any indication of how good it was it would be in my top ten too... if I had such a thing.  Portion sizing well I expected big and it was... no myth busting there.  We did develop a taste for bagels too... never before did I expect to be eating so many bagels what's so good about bread with a hole in the middle you say? Mmmm it was delicious with a bit of cream cheese, so soft and surprisingly sweet. I'm afraid we can't say the same for our hot dog encounter, after searching many the street corner for a hot dog stand - mostly there was crab kalash and shishkebabs - we found one - lets just say that the next day I was never to be found down wind of Aidan...  nasty!!

Well anyway all that is behind us now and we are settling in to our new apartment in downtown Vancouver and I'm pretty pleased with our little apartment.  We have amazing views of the mountains, harbour and park and a great little gas fireplace making our stay warm and toasty.  When we arrived yesterday it was actually snowing.  Which is unusual for vancouver but it looked spectacular. Today is a beautiful sunny day though still chilly at about 6 degrees.  We are lucky to be pretty close to everything we need here as we haven't figured out the transportation situation here, looks like buses are our best bet.  We really loved the subway in new york and were happy to walk everywhere there but not so sure here.  There are heaps of Japanese restaurants minutes from us and starbucks and Maccas even closer.  All the high end shopping in near by too and Aidan has alreay noticed that The Gap clothing for Kids store is looking for staff - could be our little Lauren is going to get even more spoiled than she already is.

Well our mission today is to find a few things like a car, laptop and I so need a hairdryer so we are off to search the nearby streets and see what they have to offer. 

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hey guys, ur apartment view is great. Glad to hear you're getting settled. Good luck with the car hunting - make sure it's got good anti-freeze and u get chains for the tyres!! hahaha
Have fun
Higgo
Ps: if u get a job at baby gap -don't forget i've got 5 nieces and nephews!!!

  higgo Jan 9, 2007 4:18 PM

2

Hi you two,
Well your awesome photos of new york have made me even more excited about our trip at the end of the year. Your view from your appartment is definitley something. You are going to have such a wonderful time... When does Aidan start work? Good luck with your career in retail!!
Thinking of you
Ari

  ariane Jan 9, 2007 9:56 PM

3

Oh my god! You lucky buggers! That is an absolutely spectacular view and are those snow peaked mountains? I hope you guys are having a really good time and Aidan I'm surprised... You really dont remember your top 10 burgers? Pfff I remember every single one of my favourite burgers!
Hope your car hunting goes well and forget about the Gap - Lauren is already the most stylish kid on the block!
Lots of mooshi kisses
Sylvie

  Sylvie Jan 10, 2007 10:06 PM

About rosiecallinan

Times Square Moments after the New Year

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.