Existing Member?

Free as a Bird "The pure present is an ungraspable advance of the past devouring the future. In truth, all sensation is already memory." - Henri Bergson

Prachasan School

THAILAND | Sunday, 4 November 2007 | Views [1204] | Comments [2]

and I have been defeated once again in trying to get my pictures uploaded! so no pics for you... but I can give you some words at least!

The school has about 2,500 students and is roughly a junior high and high school combined...on friday we had to speak over microphone to the whole school as they crouched or sat on the football field - went like this: main thai english teacher: ok, you go now. me: what!? teacher: ok, you go speak now. me: oh, god! me at podium: hello! good morning! (in head: where the hell am I?) My name is Robin and I am from the United States of America! This is my first time in Thailand and I am very happy to be here to teach you English! Thank you!

And, there it was folks, my few minutes of fame...although here in Ao Luk, and especially at the school we are pretty much celebrity teachers - students actually cheering and clapping when I come into the room! everything we do and say is watched and its always a relief to get to my room and have moments without eyes on me! but everyone is very nice and wanting to teach you thai or show you how to do something - because I am usually bumbling my way through everything from trying to order food to knowing how to walk through a fish market without sliding around on a newly chopped off fish head

i have taught only 4 classes so far but that means 160 students and 15 more classes to meet! needless to say I am spending the first class with all of them making name tags with nicknames on them! although some of the nicknames are as hard to pronounce as their thai names...a few of them pick names like: joke, bank, beer, which are easier but hard to say without laughing...

i have M3 which is like 8th grade and M6 which is like Seniors in High School - each level is fun for different reasons - although the M6 class made me blush by asking if I had a boyfriend and from some of the boys, if they could be my boyfriend!

so wiping off my blush - I just said "too old, too old for you!"

i guess i won't let there be question time for me during class anymore!

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Marvelous description of Ao Luk and throughy enjoyed your teaching experiences. When you can, send pictures of the birds in cages, the high school, and you with some of your students!

Lynne

  Lynne Nov 5, 2007 3:11 AM

2

I love Thailand and I'm a very experienced, qualified ESL Instructor. I'm trying to find employment as a teacher in Thailand. I love the look and sound of Prachasan School. How do I contact them, and what, if anything are they looking for in a Native teacher.

Best regards,

Bill Murdoch
Seoul, Korea

  Bill Murdoch Feb 4, 2011 7:28 PM

About ropo

first glmaour shot

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.