Existing Member?

LALALAND

Aix-en-Provence 8 Oct

FRANCE | Sunday, 7 November 2010 | Views [332]

Just 1-hr by train southeast of Avignon is the town of Aix (pronounced ‘X’). It is another beautiful town with a maze of cobblestone alleyways lined with expensive stores and restaurants. Certain bars/restaurants justify the sky-high prices just because Cezanne (another classic ‘painter’) used to hang out in these places. Thanks but no thanks, I cannot justify paying $7-10 for a cup of cappuccino. However it is still a beautiful place to wander through... with its many elegantly maintained/restored buildings and to be amazed with its 17-18th century history. There seems to be numerous schools and universities in the area, it’s certainly buzzing with all the students. For me it was worthwhile to finally sample an authentic French bouillabaisse (fish broth…I’ve never had fish that melted in my mouth before) and creme caramel to die for. Oink oink! We managed to pass 1 or 2 lavender fields Aix is famous for, with just a hint of the beautiful purple colours, it seems it’s no longer in season. It’s a place where you should hire a car to explore the countryside and possibly stay in the many rental farmhouses (…next time).

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.