Existing Member?

LALALAND

Avignon, Arles 6-7 Oct

FRANCE | Thursday, 14 October 2010 | Views [390]

From Carcassone, we headed east to Avignon (in Provence). It is a town but with the elegance of Paris. Tree lined streets compliment the many elegantly maintained architectures and upmarket stores. The main attractions are the Papal Palace and Pont St Benezet (Avignon Bridge).

Arles is only 20 minutes (by train) south of Avignon. Its fame is linked to the earless artist Vincent Van Gogh, Arles was where he lived and worked. Apparently a lot of his painted works are of Arles unfortunately I didn’t get to see such beauty nor any of the colours. It’s quite run down and neglected compared to its richer Avignon neighbour. However, there is a very interesting life size Roman amphiteatre / colosseum that had been restored & maintained. Bullfights and cultural events are still held in the colosseum. (This southern part of France is known for its bullfighting tradition, where bulls are relatively small compared to its Spanish cousins however they fare better since they are not killed in the process).

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.